Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
BJJ is more similar to wrestling, Sambo and judo because all are competitive and performance based. Most Taiji is not done this way. If it was, it too would be similar to wrestling, Sambo and judo.
I'm not sure about the above statement. I've never studied wrestling, sambo and judo.

I can tell you that from what I do know and have seen, that there are differences. Taiji is not a simply a wrestling art, like all Chinese styles of kung fu it has Shuai, Ti, Da and Na. That is.... throwing, kicking, striking and locking.

Also, the thing that I think is unique about Taiji ,and correct me if I am wrong on this point in regards to other arts, is that the incoming force is almost always neutralized in an almost passive way before any force is issued.

Instead of "fighting for" position, in Taiji the opponent is left to kind of upset his own position through his own excessive force and then a counter attack (Shuai, Ti, Da or Na) is issued. (Sometimes the neutralization and counter happen so fast that they appear to be simultaneous.)

Perhaps at higher levels of Judo, Sambo and Wrestling this is the same (although I'm not sure they have Ti and Da)...but again having no real experience of them first hand I can't really say. My background is in Karate, TKD, Hung Gar, CLF and little bit of Aikido.

In terms of the Shuai aspect I'd say Taiji is probably most like Aikido.