View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 508 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 84084584985065075085095105185586081008 ... LastLast
Results 7,606 to 7,620 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

1. lol if you knew gms you wouldnt say that

Blog Entries
    just look at some of the statements he makes and his actions. Youngest GM in shaolin history, largest fitness complex, 900 forms, wanting to be a movie star, and he's obviously had some cosmetic work done when looking at his 80's photos, and the dyed hair.

3. you are so off base its funny

thanks for the chuckle!

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why we can't train at both Shaolin Do schools and CSCs? I've heard that if someone trains out east then they couldn't attend a seminar for example in CA.
    Last edited by Pa Kua; 09-29-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: .

If you look...

on the right side it says five levels of black belt .....could it mean that he mastered all five levels of black belt and that is the reason why he is the 10th degree black belt?? If he graduated then he would be more than a 5th black , correct??

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    LOL, I'm trying to train to become an assistant instructor in the future, and I drink whiskey, so I guess I'm screwed. And sometimes I catch myself swearing in-kwoon, but I try not to (bad habits of a rebellious youth). Sometimes the F-bomb gets dropped without realizing it....but more likely, the S-bomb. I have a great vocabulary, but I intersperse swear words every now and then. LOL......and I've seen full-fledged instructors drinking beer at CSC holiday socials, so I guess they're screwed, too. Hell, there's even pictures of them on the internet. The reason I find this funny, is that in Chinese society drinking plays an important part in social relations. I guess they missed that part in their observation of the aescetic culture.

As for the meat-eating, I made my point clear on another thread. I'm steeped in blood, and happy to bathe in it. Or, in a more Shakesperean way: "steeped in the gore of my trade"

BTW, I wonder how they perform drunken styles. Zimaquan?

This is a symptom of every CMA school in the nation. Far less at CSC's, at least in Atlanta. Look at how many national CMA non-chinese teachers have CHinese wives, as if to lend credibility to their image. I'm not saying that's so, but many of these guys are die-hard occidentalists. They do everything chinese; it's one of those psychological things, where we're fascinated with what is different from the culture in which we are raised. How far you take it is always up to you. It's not that way at all CSC's, and it will always be an individual. Me? I'll never date another asian after my fiasco with a Cambodian chick as an undergrad. Wow, she was hot. But she was crazy, LOL. Everyone thought I was crazy for dumping her, 'cuz there's something about smoking hot asians that just turn off most male minds. I do like Chinese Lit, though. I think Journey to the West is easily as good as the Iliad, Aeneid, and Odyssey, and ought to be studied as such. But then, I'll only ever read the English translations, and would only teach them beside Chapman's translations of Homer, and Dryden's Aeneid. Despite my comprehension of Latin (in the case of the latter). Dryden was just better at his game, hand's down.
    Yeah all this stuff about being vegan is new . Up until a few years ago they ate fast food all the time. And yes you are looked at like a subclass student if you eat meat and do not follow what they tell you to do in every aspect of your life. It used to be you could have a beer or glass of wine at a wedding or on special occasion. I remember one time they were here in LA and one of the students brought a 12 pack .We all part took of them, but as soon as SS heard them being opened she was set off . Now seeing as they only come to town once a year is this not considered a special occasion??

You should have heard what said once they found out I partook of the herb!!!

7. THATS representative of the grandmasters belt

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Kua View Post
    Can anyone offer an explanation as to why we can't train at both Shaolin Do schools and CSCs? I've heard that if someone trains out east then they couldn't attend a seminar for example in CA.
    Its up the the Elder Masters that oversee their sphere of influence. If a CSC student was traveling in our area and wanted to train, then I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Are you really sure JP ? Really sure ??? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Are you really sure JP ? Really sure ??? KC
    At least it used to be that way. There's a lot of politics that get in the way sometimes. Maybe someday it will get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    You guys are basing your entire argument on pics that could be Li Bao Shu or SKTJ all the pics could be the same guy but represented as the other. Even if the 2 or 3 pics are the same person it only proves the pics are the same person and does not prove that SKDJ did not exist . Ie Chang Ming could have easily used a pic of Li Bao Shu because he did not have one of SKTJ because of the similarities of the two. I wonder if JP would believe your premise would hold up in Court , I doubt it. KC
    It's called research. The principle isn't necessarily to strengthen your own position for your own personal edification, but to find out the facts so that you can understand what was done for what reason. Say the pictures were of Li Baoshu....it would simply mean that someone procured a pic of Li Po Sui because he had the same condition as SKTJ.

This is just a researcher talking here, so it might not mean much.

For instance: I came across the "wild hairy mountain men" references in the poet Yuan Mei's poetry (late 1700's). He described these hermetic, hairy men, found variously throughout China's mountains (I think the notes said Hebei Sheng, in particular). It was, for him, a way to disparage and dehumanize those people who shunned society and sought a reclusive asceticism. In his eyes, it became a negative thing.

So, if these ideas were extant in the 1700's, it seems to period the existence of local myths about exceptionally hairy men in the mountains, who shunned human society.

That's the prototype for SKTJ. Then, if you know a little something about C. Jung and archetypes.....it's an interesting thing.

I'll try to find the poem again, and print it here, just for kicks.

PS--none of this has anything to do with training. The training is the training, the stories is the stories. But when someone tells me something about a subject I'm not well-versed in, I feel the responsibility to look it up. Ever write a 20 page grad school research paper w/ a minimum of 20 sources? If you don't check your references, you die in the water. So if it's Li Po Sui, it's Li Po Sui. No big deal.

Don't deny, deny, deny.
    Embrace.

BTW, there's a Chinese guy with hypertrichosis who's trying to get permission to run with the olympic torch in Beijing.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 09-30-2007 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post

You should have heard what said once they found out I partook of the herb!!!
    I'm guessing that you aren't talking about the iron palm.......perhaps the iron lung?

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    If you drink your chances go up. Firewater & you're almost a shoe in. I don't know about Midtown though... it could be a bit PC compared to Marietta.

I used to bartend along with several other isntructors at the Xmas party. Nobody left vertical if they came to the bar. Then again... that was Marietta. Ask about the house boat parties or UGA parties.
    Nah, I'm not a social drinker. I don't like any parties, to be honest.

So what's the deal? Why do people just have a romanticized notion of Chinese culture (not just an SD issue)? Like it's always serious, sober, vegan, polite, and self-effacing?

Interesting things to note:

Shaolin granted permission by Li Shimin to eat dog, if I'm not mistaken.
    Chinese society drinks as a way to socialize, and I'm not talking Bud Light.
    Vegans are wimps.

I wonder.....were they equally horrified by sex? LOL........Shaolin were virgified for life.....ouch.

Take the curious instance of Lu Da. He ate meat and drank (and relieved himself behind the temple). It wasn't exactly smiled upon, but it didn't get him kicked out (at least, not immediately).

At least most of us have the politeness to make use of the "officially sanctioned" restroom.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 09-30-2007 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Kua
    There have been several students from the west, including Denver, come out and train at the Lex gym. They were always welcome and treated as a brother/sister student of SD.

As for the seminars, all I am aware of is that after the "great divide" between the east, west and south, some of the head honcho's of the two later areas made an issue out of not wanting their students coming to Lexington and getting the material before said head honchos got it.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi
    just look at some of the statements he makes and his actions. Youngest GM in shaolin history, largest fitness complex, 900 forms, wanting to be a movie star, and he's obviously had some cosmetic work done when looking at his 80's photos, and the dyed hair.
    Well, he was the youngest GM at the time, he did build the largest sports complex in the area and while 900 is a big number, so far he's on number 200 plus and still getting new stuff out. As for wanting to be a movie star, well, movie stars gets the hottest babes, can't fault him for that. As for the cosmetic work, he did have surgery on his shoulder but I am not sure if that was with botox or without. It might have been because he spent 10 hours a day, every day, training in the gym at a pace that none of his students could keep up with. we were even encouraged to join and work out with him....I couldn't keep up, even the best student at the time couldn't keep up. I will agree with the dyed hair...a sure sign of an overactive ego at work.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

So if some one co;ors or high lites their hair they have an ego problem ??? so if you comb your hair or shave you have an ego problem too and if you wear deodorant you have an ego problem. People shouldnt try to force their morays on others. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !