Page 271 of 276 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 4131

Thread: An Epic of Internet-challenge Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    You are either doing it, or not. There is no room for interpretive perspective here.
    Yes there is, someone with a BJJ background will see BJJ, someone with a Judo background will see judo, someone with a wrestling background will see wrestling, etc, etc.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

SanHeChuan has a BJJ background through Clay Pittman....and he does not see much BJJ in MCMAP.

SanHeChuan has a BJJ background through Clay Pittman....and he does not see much BJJ in MCMAP.
    and yet, others do...it seems that his is a question of what one CHOOSES to see.

Don't know what this has to do with anything anyways, but it is an interesting discussion.

Well, so far I have learned that Army does way more BJJ than USMC.

I am wondering if Asia sees more BJJ, because he is Army and the Army does more BJJ, where as all the Marines I have talked to don't, because they were actually in the Marines rather than on the outside looking in, and the USMC does not emphasis BJJ to the extent the Army does.

Now, here is a question, does Army do more civilian policing?

Or, who does more Combat, Marines, or USMC?

Who does more Policing, Army, or USMC?

Maybe the Combat units do less BJJ because going to the ground is not all that smart under clear life or death combat situations, but Policing units do more BJJ because getting a suspect down, and restrained so they can be arrested and detained is the order of the day?

So far the only One I have talked to that says USMC does a lot of BJJ is Asia (who is Army anyway). Any actual Marines who were recently in say no. I am thinking the amount of BJJ training might have more to do with the amount of Policing a unit is likely to be doing. This might explain the differing accounts I am seeing.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 10-04-2007 at 06:43 AM.

H2H plays a very small role in the military, if one was to list a priority it would be:

For the group:

Firepower
    Small arms
    Edge and blunt weapons
    H2H

for the individual, the same thing:

Rifle skills
    Small arms
    Edge and impact weapons
    H2H

Not sure why it matters which facet one group favours over the other since its pretty logical to assume that the more well rounded has a better chance of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    and yet, others do...it seems that his is a question of what one CHOOSES to see.
    I think this is the closest to the truth yet. Everyone is biased, it's human nature. More so if you're trying to make a point.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    I think this is the closest to the truth yet. Everyone is biased, it's human nature. More so if you're trying to make a point.
    The first time I saw BJJ I didn't see anything other than judo ground work, because that was not only what I had been exposed to, but what I chose to see, sometimes stubbornly so.

If he can look at those clips and says he doesn't see much BJJ then I would have to question the level of his BJJ background.

It not about what someone sees. If a BJJ guy, even Rorion Gracie, was asked to teach Marines Grappling then its a solid thing to say that the ground grappling and even some of the stand SD material is BJJ.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1RurfbNu6g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-_Q85zwUo
    Last edited by Asia; 10-04-2007 at 07:16 AM.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

Quote Originally Posted by Asia View Post
    If he can look at those clips and says he doesn't see much BJJ then I would have to question the level of his BJJ background.

It now about what someone see. If a BJJ, even Rorion Gracie, was asked to teach Marines Grappling then its a solid thing to say that the ground grappling and even of the stand SD material is BJJ.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1RurfbNu6g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-_Q85zwUo
    Best vintage GJJ clip I have ever seen LOL !

I am not a BJJ nutrider, nor do I play one on TV, but I fail to see how ANYONE can't enjoy that clip of Rickson and Royler.

3:31 COMMENTER SAYS "We kind of boil it down to about 13 moves that are sort of the core of a fighting strategy."

3:46 We can take somebody, give them 5 or 10, or 15 hours instruction and actually are a better fighter.

WOW!! 15 hours? *I* have that much grappling experience!! Not recently, but High school.

Although, that does seem to fit my basic premis that a Kung Fu guy only really needs to cross train in the core essentials in case he is forced to the ground, rather than learning to be a BJJ master.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 10-04-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Although, that does seem to fit my basic premis that a Kung Fu guy only really needs to cross train in the core essentials in case he is forced to the ground, rather than learning to be a BJJ master.
    Why would you think you need to become a BJJ master ??
    I woudl say that a couple of years of constant training in BJJ can give almost anyone a good base to deal with a typical ground fighting situation.

As for the time frame in the clip, you do realize how little time they (the military) spend on H2H in basic Training right?

Yes, actually I do...now.

Anyway, this has given me a thought. Since i really don't want to be a ground guy, and prefer the Chinese way of doing things, how much BJJ Ground type fighting do I really need to learn to escape the ground and get back into my game?

AND can this be done with Greco/Roman Wrestling? As I happen to know a guy who's Kid is a college wrestler who I roll with here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That is Matt Larsen a long time ago. Note the baby face and he is still a SSG.
    This was at the begining of the program and has undergone some changes form there.

Marines doing Jiu Jitsu at Fleetweek:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBfMR8kYVmc

As for the time frame in the clip, you do realize how little time they (the military) spend on H2H in basic Training right?
    Yep. H2H is a common task but it generally on the back burner. Which might explain why SanHeChuan didn't see alot of it. My job right now is a Combative, MOUT, and Communications Instructor so I deal with it alot more than your average troop.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!

This technique used at :30 is one of the first techniques in my foundational Tai Tzu form!!

The USMC does Tai Tzu Whoo Hoooo!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHzVVKL_0FM

We do it as a take down, not really as a gun defense, but I'm going to play with it as such now!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RD
    You are either doing it, or not. There is no room for interpretive perspective here.
    Fucktard.

Still, as the ancient Chinese said, you can't explain the ocean to an idiot in a well. Or that he's an idiot. Or something.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan