Thread: why the floor

why the floor

having no mma, or bjj experience i am seeking knowledgable people to explain to me floor grappling, i train in martial arts partly to defend myself in the street, looking at mma and bbj, from my limited perspective its seems extremely vulnurable to choose to go to the ground, in case of multiple attackers especially, so how does your art deal with this situation, in the street would you want to take the guy down to the ground?, do u have other techniques to fight standing up?, to me it seems to be 95% on the ground,am i way off?

what am i missing
    Set your mind.
    Refuse to be weak,
    Refuse to be sick,
    Refuse to die.
    Think that you are strong and you are

Hey troll,

Just do Judo. Best of both worlds.

Or go back to your folk-dancing class and leave the fight'n to fighters.

-The B

not a troll, read my other posts, just seeking info, thanks
    Set your mind.
    Refuse to be weak,
    Refuse to be sick,
    Refuse to die.
    Think that you are strong and you are

Then do Judo- Excellent stand up defense against ground and pounders, and it teaches you how to survive if you end up on the ground.

clarification

Judo has regionally specific attributes. Russian and European influenced Judo focuses on unorthodox grip work and is mainly to train people to excel at the sport of Judo. Try to find a Japanese trained traditionalist Judo player. It's better for self defense. You can tell by how it feels to do Randori- a traditionalist exemplifies the Gentle Art- a sport stylist feels like you're wrestling a mack truck or you're being mugged.

Quote Originally Posted by eomonroe00 View Post
    having no mma, or bjj experience i am seeking knowledgable people to explain to me floor grappling, i train in martial arts partly to defend myself in the street, looking at mma and bbj, from my limited perspective its seems extremely vulnurable to choose to go to the ground, in case of multiple attackers especially, so how does your art deal with this situation, in the street would you want to take the guy down to the ground?, do u have other techniques to fight standing up?, to me it seems to be 95% on the ground,am i way off?

what am i missing
    You train the ground so you can survive there if you go there.
    Like you said, there are a lot of factors that make you not want to go there.
    There's a reason why Liddell's been successful with his standup (ie not going to the ground) and it has a lot to do with his NCAA wrestling background.
    He knows how not to go there and how to survive if he happens to end up there.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    You train the ground so you can survive there if you go there.
    Like you said, there are a lot of factors that make you not want to go there.
    There's a reason why Liddell's been successful with his standup (ie not going to the ground) and it has a lot to do with his NCAA wrestling background.
    He knows how not to go there and how to survive if he happens to end up there.
    And that is all the needs to be said when someone asks "do I need to know how to grapple on the ground".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thumbs up

what am i missing
    its a good question. The fact that really most BJJ and MMA people will admit is that the ground isn't a "safe" place outside of a sport's fight. The other fact is that you can't guarantee that you won't end up on the ground. A good thing would be to be able to time and distance the guy so its very hard to take you down. It would be smart to have a basic idea of wtf is going on if you find yourself mounted. What about rape situations?

simple fact basic positional training should be a no brainier. Just becouse you don't choose to go to the ground, doesn't mean you won't.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    simple fact basic positional training should be a no brainier. Just becouse you don't choose to go to the ground, doesn't mean you won't.
    good point. a person can get back up as fast as they can take someone down. the ground is a weapon, there's no law written anywhere that a person has to stay down and engage in a drawn out ground fight. however, if you're afraid to go to the ground that probably where you'll meet your fate.
    Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    Really? That's real Kung Fu?
    If so, I take back every negative thing I ever said.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Specialed you do have a point there.

Quote Originally Posted by specialed View Post
    good point. a person can get back up as fast as they can take someone down. the ground is a weapon, there's no law written anywhere that a person has to stay down and engage in a drawn out ground fight. however, if you're afraid to go to the ground that probably where you'll meet your fate.
    The saying I learned was "position over submission". Your goal should be to put yourself in a dominant position so you can do a lock/choke, strike, stand up.

perfect example is this clip by Dr. seuss:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HB2HUndpM

if the guy on the ground would just use some basic MMA tactics he would be able to stand back up. upkick, distance, standup in your base.

oh I love the arm bar, then the triangle attempt. LOL Just go a train with some people who know how to do this stuff. Why try and invent the wheel all over again?
    You don't even need to get a belt, or wear a dumb uniform.

If people want to learn how to muscle out of stuff maybe I should make a DVD? It just doesn't work most of the time. Thats why BJJ is similar to WC, its about ideas. How can I protect myself using basic logic.
    Last edited by monji112000; 10-28-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Fights often go to the ground. I have been doing martial arts for 20 years and have had to use ground fighting on three occasion within the last 4 years. One happened when a crazy junky on rollar blades started a fight with me and wouldn't back off. So I did what any reasonable martial artist would do struck him in the throat with a tiger mouth strike then kneeled down next to his downed body and put him to sleep with a rear naked choke. The other time was when my former manager a black belt in something tackled me from a blind angle and I ended it with a arm bar. And the third was in a lady bar here in Beijing where I had to defend myself from my back after I tripped onto the sofa. and did so without having a single blow landed on me with my opponent taking about ten kicks to the face resulting in a gash on his forehead.

from my limited perspective its seems extremely vulnurable to choose to go to the ground, in case of multiple attackers especially,
    Sometimes it's not a choice....then what???

I train all ranges of fighting...just in case!
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

what am i missing
    One big thing to serviving a fight is situational awareness. You don't have that, it doesn't mater if a fight goes to the ground or stays up. And if you do have good situational awareness, you are just as likely to survive on the ground as on your feet, assuming you can actually fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it