Page 72 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1522

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Chris Jurak and Noran Malouff originally studied with me. Later they transitioned to becoming full time students of CTS. I believe they were students of mine when Mike came to train with us (Chris I know for sure, Noran I am not 100% sure)
    actually, I know for a fact that Mike and Noran were with you before I showed up: I came in December 1989, when we were in that dance studio on Broadway near NYU, and I remember both of them there - Noran was part of the "regular" class and Mike was learning something from sifu (butterfly knives?); I think Mike had been around for several months already in fact; as for whether Noran or I studied with sifu first directly, I don't know - the first thing he taught me was some Hung Faht in the summer of 1990 after we came back from the first NACMAF and he was all like "well, I'm going to teach someone HF - hey you - come here"); Inno first showed up, I believe, when we were at 440, or possibly the place right before (the "House of Broken Mirrors"...), and was already there when Gus showed up

as for Raphael, he was a new student in Mineola under Mike and Gus while I was still there (I left in August of 1993) I think that he was one of the people who was there the time that sifu taught the group of total beginner students the "long stick with anything sharp on one or both sides" form (anyone remember THAT story?), where I was running around trying to keep them from killing themselves...
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 12-12-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    actually, I know for a fact that Mike and Noran were with you before I showed up: I came in December 1989, when we were in that dance studio on Broadway near NYU, and I remember both of them there - Noran was part of the "regular" class and Mike was learning something from sifu (butterfly knives?); I think Mike had been around for several months already in fact; as for whether Noran or I studied with sifu first directly, I don't know - the first thing he taught me was some Hung Faht in the summer of 1990 after we came back from the first NACMAF and he was all like "well, I'm going to teach someone HF - hey you - come here"); Inno first showed up, I believe, when we were at 440, or possibly the place right before (the "House of Broken Mirrors"...), and was already there when Gus showed up
    well, there you have it! I am really, really, really senile
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

the "House of Broken Mirrors"...
    are we talking about Mike's rocket propelled dahn do?

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

cjurakpt Guest
    well, there you have it! I am really, really, really senile
    right, and then there was that time in March of 1990 when (a Tuesday afternoon, I believe) when we were sitting at yum cha and you swore that one day you would set 1,000 tins of ha gow out before one day, as a sign of your benificence...

cjurakpt Guest
    are we talking about Mike's rocket propelled dahn do?
    yes, of course - a sight I will never forget as long as I draw breath!

I still have nightmares about it

teases...

thats the sizzle wheres the steak

actually, Mike and Noran were with you before I showed up: I came in January 1989, when we were in that dance studio on Broadway, and I remember both of them there - Noran ws part of the "regular" class and Mike was learning something from sifu (butterfly knives?)

as for Raphael, he was a new student in Mineola under Mike and Gus while I was still there (I left in August of 1993) I think that he was one of the people who was there the time that sifu taught the group of total beginner students the "long stick with anything sharp on one or both sides" form (anyone remember THAT story?), where I was running around trying to keep them from killing themselves...
    Yes, I have his original membership application somewhere (i saw it a few years go). I believe it was August 1992. And he trained until early 1995, so I was a bit off on the dates, but it's still only about 2.5 years. And 2.5 years could be a lot, if the student learned privately a few times a week, trained everyday and was 'kung-fu gifted.' This was not the case though with him.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    I can break mirrors with my flying sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    I break ladies' hearts with my "flying sword"

TMI Mike, TMI

I think I may still have Chris' registration form somewhere

cjurakpt Guest
    I think I may still have Chris' registration form somewhere
    was that the one with the bit about "and the applicant hereafter swears, pledges and promises that his / her eternal soul (essence, Atman, pith of being, etc.) shall be in perpetuity and incontrovertably the property of Dave Ross, or his heirs, licensees and assignees"?

yeah, well joke was on you: remember when you found out that I didn't actually have a soul?!? boy, did we have a hoot about that one!

oh, Mike - you cut and pasted my "pre-edited" version of the "who came first" history - it wasn't January 1989 that i showed up, it was December 1989

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    I think it's on here somewhere already, if you can't find it, I'm sure someone will retell it soon enough (I gotta run out now, so no time at present)

TMI Mike, TMI
    I can also make suggestions that we aquire weaponry, in other than new condition, that we had not directly purchased ourselves.