Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Schulman's Horror Stories

Wink Bravo!

I agree with both of you entirely. Obviously this ******* never learned "the way" that every good BB should know. It was pretty well demonstrated if recollection serves me on the TV show Kung Fu. Strength through Humility, Sacrifice, being the better person, Giving to others, and pushing yourself beyond your limits. etc.

As far as Do Jo edicate... It's not about being able to kick everyones ass including maybe the Sensei, that determines a persons' rank or, they wouldn't have had weight classes in boxing since the turn of the 20th Century! For god sake!What Stupidity!

At least in TSK there are so many students, close to 70K, there is ALWAYS somebody they have to match your size, strength and skills. From what I understand from my friends who have recently earned their blacks,the word is..." do what you have to do...no more and no less. if you just happen to luckily face someone you can take advantage of...DON'T!"

Good people on this thread.
    Last edited by KenpoTkdAckTSK; 12-12-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Forgot one thing.

I too saw a "social promotion" in the Kenpo school I earned a BB from. Only this guy guy was just SO pathetic he would have never passed the test! The test for the rest of us was brutal but comprehensive. 75 Sit-ups and Push ups. Then, in front of all kinds of onlookers i.e. parents, friends and others - I had to perform 160 self-defense moves against every attack under the sun, and they all had 2 or 3 sub-parts, 9 Katas, and then 12 three minute rounds with one minute in between against a fresh BB each round. what made it kind of brutal was that a tradition started by the original or first wave of BB's was passed down to all of us and, that was anything goes! They literally kick the **** out of you. Then there is an interview to break you phsycologically- this is insanity.
    But this whiner got a pass on the test after months of complaining! What Bull****!
    He was just too lazy to get his fat ass in shape enough to actually have a chance!
    Well, there it is. The truth and nothing but the truth. I don't even remember 5 out of the 12 rounds. I was on sheer auto-pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTkdAckTSK View Post
    I too saw a "social promotion" in the Kenpo school I earned a BB from. Only this guy guy was just SO pathetic he would have never passed the test! The test for the rest of us was brutal but comprehensive. 75 Sit-ups and Push ups. Then, in front of all kinds of onlookers i.e. parents, friends and others - I had to perform 160 self-defense moves against every attack under the sun, and they all had 2 or 3 sub-parts, 9 Katas, and then 12 three minute rounds with one minute in between against a fresh BB each round. what made it kind of brutal was that a tradition started by the original or first wave of BB's was passed down to all of us and, that was anything goes! They literally kick the **** out of you. Then there is an interview to break you phsycologically- this is insanity.
    But this whiner got a pass on the test after months of complaining! What Bull****!
    He was just too lazy to get his fat ass in shape enough to actually have a chance!
    Well, there it is. The truth and nothing but the truth. I don't even remember 5 out of the 12 rounds. I was on sheer auto-pilot!
    wow, seems like a rough test. But let me ask you this. You got your butt kicked for 12 rounds, 3 minutes each. Does that determine that you were a blackbelt or that you knew your stuff? Let just say for arugments sake, a 17yr old kid can do all of your stuff within a year. Jump in the ring, fight 12 black belts for 3 minutes each, would he deserve a blackbelt because he can do all of this or because he survived? 4 Questoins, different views on each. Would like to hear you out on this.

what happened to the 'whiner' blackbelt? Is he teaching? Does he have his own school? Did he ever slim down?

1. "wow, seems like a rough test. But let me ask you this. You got your butt kicked for 12 rounds, 3 minutes each. Does that determine that you were a black belt or that you knew your stuff?

ans. -The test , from what was explained to me later, wasn't about winning. It was about "heart". Each person was watched closely to see if they had too much or too little left around round six. If he thought you had too much, he would send in some one rough. So it wouldn't matter if you were 40 or 20 - everyone was pushed beyond their limits. And, - NO, that is not all there is to it. And even if a guy trained (took privates) 5 days per week, I would find it hard for him to learn all of the 160+ self-defense moves and 9 Kata's that are required.

2. "what happened to the 'whiner' black belt? Is he teaching? Does he have his own school? Did he ever slim down?"

ans. He disappeared I think to Florida and tried to open his own school. All I remember was my Sensei complaining about him emailing for advice all the time. Then I lost all track of it, and never heard about it again.

Does this suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by SayocBlade View Post
    Yup. He was so proud of his blackbelt. I found out how he whined about getting his black belt a few years after one of the instructors left also. Said he was a crying *****..LOL .

Yes, the place where I'm at, my instructor doesn't like rank either but he does it to see where everyone is with the cirriculum. Whatever, I like what your chief instructor said about everyone being a white belt. Very interesting!
    Well, it was one of my former chief instructors. Just one of those phrases that stuck in my head.

Yep, I thought it worth mentioning. I'm glad that it was able to translate well.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

I wonder. I've heard stories of the first degree BB test but no one really talks about it. Aren't you giving away something that is supposed to be kept secret?

I would rather have sate out then let them take it easy on me. Why would I pay all that money (i'm assuming it costs a lot for the tests) for something that I did not earn on my own?

Yes, I agree. There are some good, decent people in this thread. Gives me a better perspective on the martial arts...indeed.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

1. "wow, seems like a rough test. But let me ask you this. You got your butt kicked for 12 rounds, 3 minutes each. Does that determine that you were a black belt or that you knew your stuff?

ans. -The test , from what was explained to me later, wasn't about winning. It was about "heart". Each person was watched closely to see if they had too much or too little left around round six. If he thought you had too much, he would send in some one rough. So it wouldn't matter if you were 40 or 20 - everyone was pushed beyond their limits. And, - NO, that is not all there is to it. And even if a guy trained (took privates) 5 days per week, I would find it hard for him to learn all of the 160+ self-defense moves and 9 Kata's that are required.

2. "what happened to the 'whiner' black belt? Is he teaching? Does he have his own school? Did he ever slim down?"

ans. He disappeared I think to Florida and tried to open his own school. All I remember was my Sensei complaining about him emailing for advice all the time. Then I lost all track of it, and never heard about it again.
    Interesting..

Does this suffice?
    Yes. I'm not meaning to nit pick your stuff. Just asking a question. Sorry if it looks like I came off that way.

No Problem

I will always be honest and I did not take it as nit-picking.
    Take care.

Secret?

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    I wonder. I've heard stories of the first degree BB test but no one really talks about it. Aren't you giving away something that is supposed to be kept secret?

I would rather have sate out then let them take it easy on me. Why would I pay all that money (i'm assuming it costs a lot for the tests) for something that I did not earn on my own?

Yes, I agree. There are some good, decent people in this thread. Gives me a better perspective on the martial arts...indeed.

Yes...things about the test are supposed to be kept secret. But I didn't tell you anything that any person who watched the tests don't know. Maybe the interview. But everyone saw us going in for the interview as well, and I didn't exactly say anything about the details of the interview. I kept those to my self.

Yes...things about the test are supposed to be kept secret. But I didn't tell you anything that any person who watched the tests don't know. Maybe the interview. But everyone saw us going in for the interview as well, and I didn't exactly say anything about the details of the interview. I kept those to my self.
    I see. So people are allowed to watch you test or was it only the chosen few (chief instructors, black belts...etc) that watched the test? Of course, those who saw the test know what went on. I think what I was getting at was the nature of how much was made public. In some schools, I've seen where parents had recorded their children testing in each phase. And then there are some schools where parents are not allowed to attend the ranking tests. In my experience, people tend not to talk about the tests...at least not in the detail that you had described. Just something that stuck out during the discussions.

TSK usually holds such tests at the Rex Plex. I believe that such events are open to the public (the testing portions). I guess it depends on the school.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Answer to your question and comments

The tests were open to the public, but only BB's were in the interview which is the secretive part that I didn't divulge. There was another part of the test that I did not mention at all as well. But no, it's not just students or instructors who get to see tests.

At TSK, they are completely transparent about their tests, and you can find that information on their website. They hide nothing.

Take care

The tests were open to the public, but only BB's were in the interview which is the secretive part that I didn't divulge. There was another part of the test that I did not mention at all as well. But no, it's not just students or instructors who get to see tests.

At TSK, they are completely transparent about their tests, and you can find that information on their website. They hide nothing.

Take care
    I think all schools should have something that's hidden from the general public. Why should they show you everything?

I think all schools should have something that's hidden from the general public. Why should they show you everything?
    There are aspects that are esoteric. Some schools are open about their methods, and some aren't. I'm sure with your experience, you know about stuff like that.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Thanks

Take care
    The workout portion seems to be a common factor. It's intensity just increases with rank. I appreciate you taking time out to consider my question. Well, it was more of a concern I guess. But you seem to be assured that nothing significant was divulged and only you would know about such things (as it pertains to your test).

I just thought it was an interesting topic.

TSK is very open about what they do. I don't know if that is to their benefit or detriment.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

I agree that certain things s/b private

In Kenpo for example, if you just go to you tube and punch in Kenpo, you will some pretty brutal stuff. As a student you learn HOW to do them, and as a BB you learn WHEN to use it , how to use it against different types of opponents - one thing I learned in grappling is - strength MATTERS - so you must be able to adapt quickly, and there are deadly moves in every style that should be kept private.

But on the other hand, TSK is an open book and I think that's a GOOD thing too.
    So, i guess i don't really mind either philosophy as long as people are respectful enough to follow what ever their school says.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A GOOD SUCCER PUNCH!
    Last edited by KenpoTkdAckTSK; 12-21-2007 at 12:14 AM.