Page 74 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1522

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

CTS was the sh1t. He continued to train until his 50's (started at 8 years old), spent his whole life doing Kung-Fu and trained wiyh some very famous people. Used his Kung-Fu in two wars, gangfights, duels and was one of the few people that you might have met in the last 20 years that actually KILLED people using his Kung-Fu. And I don't mean one person; CTS fought and killed several people over the course of his life. And this isn't just "oh, my teacher was sooo cool and killed people" b.s., I have met several people who witnessed him in matches before, seen him fight, I've been to his home town, met people who saw him fight, etc., etc.

He was an expert in a very rare style (lama pai kung-fu) and knew several different styles with great proficiency.

When he first came to the US in the early 80's, he taught at a few people's school in Chinatown and had also instructed several of Chinatown's high profile Sifu's (behind closed doors of course). Teachers of Fu Jow Pai, Hung Ga, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    CTS was the sh1t. He continued to train until his 50's (started at 8 years old), spent his whole life doing Kung-Fu and trained wiyh some very famous people. Used his Kung-Fu in two wars, gangfights, duels and was one of the few people that you might have met in the last 20 years that actually KILLED people using his Kung-Fu. And I don't mean one person; CTS fought and killed several people over the course of his life. And this isn't just "oh, my teacher was sooo cool and killed people" b.s., I have met several people who witnessed him in matches before, seen him fight, I've been to his home town, met people who saw him fight, etc., etc.

He was an expert in a very rare style (lama pai kung-fu) and knew several different styles with great proficiency.

When he first came to the US in the early 80's, he taught at a few people's school in Chinatown and had also instructed several of Chinatown's high profile Sifu's (behind closed doors of course). Teachers of Fu Jow Pai, Hung Ga, etc.
    Ah, I see.
    Thanks for the background info, understood.
    I can see the "allure" and understand it now.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why the "big deal" abut Chan ??

Being an "outsider looking in" and don't get it.
    From my point of view

1. Last link to an age that is pretty much gone. IE a guy who was raised training, learned traditional methods, and FOUGHT with them

2. Tons of real life fighting experience. Was a gangster as a kid, then a military man, for a while was a "liason" between secret societies/brotherhoods and the Communist Party.

3. Trained with a lot of famous teachers, knew a lot about the "real stuff", yet wasn't into the mysticism, very practical minded guy

4. Related to above, he told you like it was> he told us stories about him getting beaten up bad, never acted like anyone was "super duper", debunked a lot of crap, etc
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Seems like you guys got lucky and found one of the "rare breeds".
    *******s !!

I have been a very lucky bastaahd, trained with a lot of very good people. But without an exception, Chan tai San was the best and the one I learned the most from.... that is saying a lot really

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I have been a very lucky bastaahd, trained with a lot of very good people. But without an exception, Chan tai San was the best and the one I learned the most from.... that is saying a lot really
    That is saying quite q bit, for a "mma guy"

That is saying quite q bit, for a "mma guy"
    Well, and people never seem to get this, but I am a MMA guy BECAUSE of Chan Tai San

he didn't limit himself to one teacher or one style. He sought out whatever he could learn, as long as it taught him how to fight

he didn't limit himself to Chinese martial art, he studied western boxing and Japanese Judo

I learned Lama Pai, an art whose history teaches us originally there were only principles, not forms

I learned Lama Pai, an art whose first principle is "Chaan" - "be ruthless" - do whatever it takes to win

Well, and people never seem to get this, but I am a MMA guy BECAUSE of Chan Tai San

he didn't limit himself to one teacher or one style. He sought out whatever he could learn, as long as it taught him how to fight

he didn't limit himself to Chinese martial art, he studied western boxing and Japanese Judo

I learned Lama Pai, an art whose history teaches us originally there were only principles, not forms

I learned Lama Pai, an art whose first principle is "Chaan" - "be ruthless" - do whatever it takes to win
    Its funny how most (if not all) of the fighters of the past were cross trainers.
    Should be a lesson for people today.

Its funny how most (if not all) of the fighters of the past were cross trainers.
    Should be a lesson for people today.
    "tradition" isn't what people think it is

and the "old guard" would be shocked at todays "tradtional martial arts"

"tradition" isn't what people think it is

and the "old guard" would be shocked at todays "tradtional martial arts"
    I think they would be harlot slapping these so-called Traditionalists.

Many people were lucky to study with master Chan, but few people were in-door disciples. Even fewer were passed his intimate knowledge of the arts. Not everyone is as they claim to be. Some are riding on his name and some are destroying it all that he taught. The air should be clean and I will say nothing more about it at this time.
    Sifu Chan Siu Lum
    Adopted Disciple to
    Grandmaster Chan Tai San

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Siu Lum View Post
    Many people were lucky to study with master Chan, but few people were in-door disciples. Even fewer were passed his intimate knowledge of the arts. Not everyone is as they claim to be. Some are riding on his name and some are destroying it all that he taught. The air should be clean and I will say nothing more about it at this time.
    I"m probably going to live to regret this, but you all know me

OK, so, if you don't mind me asking, WHO ARE YOU?

Chan Tai San never taught in Florida my friend. So how did you suddenly become his "in door disciple"????

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Siu Lum View Post
    quick poll:
    a) you're an idiot
    b) you are clueless
    c) you are a troll
    d) all of the above

as for cleaning the air - if you want to clean it, then bring it, brother! you got something to say, we're all ears; otherwise it's smoke out your blow hole; intimate knowledge of the arts, indeed...puh-leeze - you're the kind of LARPer he hated most, the kind that thinks there is some kind of top secret level that only the few are privy to; yeesh

Chris, who do you think this is?

cjurakpt Guest
    as i posted on the White Crane Staff form thread:
    I'm guessing it's the latest edition of Kemo Martin, or John Takeshi / Seppuku et. al. - rather convenient how this guy shows up all of a sudden, acting all "discipley", but avoiding giving specific info, and dangling the whole "only a coveted few" crapola out like he's got something special that no one else has...not to mention that if he thinks that it's the set itself that's important as opposed to a certain number of oft repeated staff principles that sifu returned to incessantly...

anyway, I'd be very happy to meet with him and discuss the finer points of staff use, just to make sure that i didn't miss anything in my training

one thing that does seem odd is that he "arose" pretty much in direct contradiction to what Gus posted, pretty much intimating that Gus has no idea what he was talking about in regards to the staff form (I'm not saying he does or doesn't, I personally have no opinion on the matter) in question...kinda strange...

oh, just had a thought - ya think it's Cleve?!?!?
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 12-13-2007 at 06:29 PM.