Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Schulman's Horror Stories

Reach!

Is it just me, or is fighting a competent fighter who has the reach over you a *****?
    5'10 is average height, but i have short arms I think. Sometimes I just take one to give one. Can anyone relate?

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTkdAckTSK View Post
    Is it just me, or is fighting a competent fighter who has the reach over you a *****?
    5'10 is average height, but i have short arms I think. Sometimes I just take one to give one. Can anyone relate?
    If both of you are competent fighters, you should always be one step ahead of this guy. You should have a plan and stick to it to defeat him on whatever his game is. You don't have short arms. If you did, you would have known since growing up! LOL. Remember, its just like boxing and karate. You have angles, fade in and fade out, and speed. All that will get you around you oppenent even if he's competent.

A competent fighter can and will use their reach as an advantage. You can always take one to get one because in the street that will no doubt be the case. However, in point sparring, that may be a different story. So, use the hands to fake and distract, then throw some kicks when they are expecting some hand strikes. You know your stuff and you will be able to feel out the opponent after some seconds of exchanging blows. Use what you were taught and sometimes even for a BB, basics get the job done just as well.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SayocBlade View Post
    If both of you are competent fighters, you should always be one step ahead of this guy. You should have a plan and stick to it to defeat him on whatever his game is. You don't have short arms. If you did, you would have known since growing up! LOL. Remember, its just like boxing and karate. You have angles, fade in and fade out, and speed. All that will get you around you oppenent even if he's competent.

This makes sense. I was told how angles would give the advantage as well. Speed is a great help and developing it has helped me be a better student in the eyes of my teacher. Always have a plan, a back up and one to back that up just in case. When fighting a real-life moving target, the variables are difficult to foresee.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Hey man..whats your name? its in Chinese and I can't read it

Anyway you did have a good point. But I'm wondering if KenpoTkdAckTSK was asking about a sparring full contact match, point sparring or street fight? If it was a street fight, I would toss Muy Thai elbows into the scene to counter the long reach by the other opponent. Or..if you get an inch of sunlight to break through his defenses, take it all and take the opponent down. Then thats when it gets interesting..

What I was talking about

Full contact sparring with gear, muay tai without the elbows.( to answer one persons question) I know all about "in and out", easier said then done. I look to the great boxers i.e. Joe Frasier, who seem to share this with me and what they did to overcome it, but boxing doesn't include knees and kicks so it's not a great thing to learn from if you don't know the difference between which boxing techniques are OK to use and which ones are unsafe against a mauy tai fighter. I.e. Mostly "rolling under" techniques toward the center will line you up perfectly for a knee (devastating).

I was just throwin that out there. Glad to see so many responses.

I tend to slip toward the out side anyway so I have only caught two knees in my life. but one of them was against a good fighter, and a SOUTH PAW (which probably explains it. i was probably circling to the right when I should have been circling to the left), and man - even at half power the knee felt like it broke my eye bone.
    Last edited by KenpoTkdAckTSK; 12-23-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SayocBlade View Post
    Hey man..whats your name? its in Chinese and I can't read it

Anyway you did have a good point. But I'm wondering if KenpoTkdAckTSK was asking about a sparring full contact match, point sparring or street fight? If it was a street fight, I would toss Muy Thai elbows into the scene to counter the long reach by the other opponent. Or..if you get an inch of sunlight to break through his defenses, take it all and take the opponent down. Then thats when it gets interesting..
    I used the kanji; It is supposed to read KabukiSamurai. Sorry for the inconvenience. I guess I was under the impression that someone had translated it because no one had asked me until now. I rarely ever see user names in other characters so I thought it would be cool to do for a forum like this.

"An inch of sunlight." Pretty good analogy in regards to combat. I guess that's all you need to get in there and do what you gotta do. Yeah, taking it down to the ground does yield interesting results.

I was searching YouTube the other day (something that I don't usually do) and came across a video of Royce Gracie demonstrating his Brazilian Ju-jutsu against a skeptic Hapkido master. Needless to say, when Gracie took him down and mounted, the fight was over (the guy would not admit defeat and lost a total of three times). It was one of his early demonstrations.

I wish I could provide the link.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Full contact sparring with gear, muay tai without the elbows.( to answer one persons question) I know all about "in and out", easier said then done. I look to the great boxers i.e. Joe Frasier, who seem to share this with me and what they did to overcome it, but boxing doesn't include knees and kicks so it's not a great thing to learn from if you don't know the difference between which boxing techniques are OK to use and which ones are unsafe against a mauy tai fighter. I.e. Mostly "rolling under" techniques toward the center will line you up perfectly for a knee (devastating).

I was just throwin that out there. Glad to see so many responses.

I tend to slip toward the out side anyway so I have only caught two knees in my life. but one of them was against a good fighter, and a SOUTH PAW (which probably explains it. i was probably circling to the right when I should have been circling to the left), and man - even at half power the knee felt like it broke my eye bone.
    Nothing wrong with throwing in some real life combat scenarios. We would be glad to hear of any concerns that you have with your training. You may benefit from some of our experience and we may benefit from looking at things from a different perspective. In any case, it is a learning experience for all of us.

Funny thing. For now, it just seems to be the three of us in this exchange.

I was told for punching, look to the shoulders to determine if your opponent is about to throw one. Is there a similar method for knee strikes? My experience with kickboxing, especially Muy Thai is limited at this point in my training. Obviously, if the leg is chambered, that could mean a possible kick...key word is possible. But I know that the kicks in Muy Thai don't come from chamber, they just come! If I were to make an educated guess, I would say look to hips or the upper body. Some fighters move their arms before delivering a kick in order to stabilize themselves, which choreographs all their intentions to me.

Knees are much sneakier and they definitely hurt more. Especially near the eye (using your example). Half power or not, I have no doubt about the destructive power that it will inflict. Hurts me just thinking about it. Just getting a little knee tap in a certain sensitive spot...the rest I'm sure you can fill in.

Of course, I've added conjecture in my response. I'm sure someone else can add or improve upon this.

Best Regards to all.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post

I was searching YouTube the other day (something that I don't usually do) and came across a video of Royce Gracie demonstrating his Brazilian Ju-jutsu against a skeptic Hapkido master. Needless to say, when Gracie took him down and mounted, the fight was over (the guy would not admit defeat and lost a total of three times). It was one of his early demonstrations.

I wish I could provide the link.
    I erred. It was Rorion Gracie and here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ciYtazMQE4&NR=1
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Actually, I do...

Actually, I do focus on the shoulder line when fighting and also watch their stance . Both can provide telegraphing i.e. a switch from a conventional stance to a side horse stance tells me right away to anticipate either a front leg kick or a spinning kick) but you have to move quickly.

The problem with the knee is that it's not thrown from a chamber like other kicks. It comes straight up from the rear or power leg when you are in a clinch. The counter to this is to drop both hands ( he's got both hands on your neck, so it's safe to do this) and block the knee. The problem starts when there are multiple knees thrown; you lose a lot of energy fighting the clinch and blocking at the same time. And, if he's heavier and stronger, he can keep you in that clinch and throw you around quite a bit. Thank god for weight classes in the professional leagues.

Speaking of you tube

Punch in "kenpo karate", and you'll see how devastating some of the self defense moves are and, I believe the the Israeli style of fighting is a conglomerate of things stolen from other styles which, they openly admitted on Human Weapon. A lot of it looks like Kenpo to me.

Avoiding a knee....?

Actually, I do focus on the shoulder line when fighting and also watch their stance . Both can provide telegraphing i.e. a switch from a conventional stance to a side horse stance tells me right away to anticipate either a front leg kick or a spinning kick) but you have to move quickly.

The problem with the knee is that it's not thrown from a chamber like other kicks. It comes straight up from the rear or power leg when you are in a clinch. The counter to this is to drop both hands ( he's got both hands on your neck, so it's safe to do this) and block the knee. The problem starts when there are multiple knees thrown; you lose a lot of energy fighting the clinch and blocking at the same time. And, if he's heavier and stronger, he can keep you in that clinch and throw you around quite a bit. Thank god for weight classes in the professional leagues.
    Yeah. Velocity is an important part of the equation.

I understand what you are saying about the knee and it is similar to what I had in mind. But I did not think about being in the clinch for this example. The only time I ever do that is when I am grappling and knees are NOT allowed.

I would have to say...if you could find a way to hinder the your opponent's leg and then deliver your own knees. To what you said, simultaneously fighting the clinch while blocking knees is an aspect that I guess one needs to get used to. I notice that boxers and fighters clinch either when they tired and/or they are trying to go for a take-down. Getting into a clinch with a bigger stronger opponent should be avoided unless you think it will give you the advantage at that moment. It seems as if their strategy is to get you in the clinch, which would be a sure-fire way to get you with knees. In that situation, I would try and step around and go for some kind of trip or take-down by sweeping the back leg. Get in close and the knees should be nullified for a short time till you pull off the move.

On a side note; I agree with weight classes and see why they were put into place. However, personally I enjoy fighting someone who is bigger and stronger than myself. It is one of the very few ways that one can improve more rapidly and become stronger. So then when you fight someone in your own weight class, it will be an easy victory. During my submission grappling days, it was a lot of fun.

I threw out some suggestions based on your scenario. As I said before, I am not so familiar with that type of fighting. Hope that helps.

Happy Holidays.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Punch in "kenpo karate", and you'll see how devastating some of the self defense moves are and, I believe the the Israeli style of fighting is a conglomerate of things stolen from other styles which, they openly admitted on Human Weapon. A lot of it looks like Kenpo to me.
    I take it you are a student of Ed Parker's style then?

I've seen some kenpo (I've seen it spelled Kempo) in action. Brutal, fast, destructive...basically "take no prisoners."

I actually missed the Krav Maga episode of Human Weapon. It seems somewhat like a hybrid martial art. I'm waiting for a repeat show. But this week there is the new Fight Quest which comes on at the same time (but on Discovery Channel).
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

The knee is very nasty and devestating. You can prevent the other guy from throwing a knee if you are in a clinch by pushing is waist away from you. The knee will never touch you but you're inline for a devestating elbow from the dropped hand holding the waist. Either or, you're screwed when clinched up.

Thanks for all ur advise

I know I am talking with good martial artists when they take the time to discuss things like this without any egotistical slant. Moreover, I just yesterday, when I gave him a belated x-mas gift, talked with my sensei about it and his suggestion was to time the knee and throw a body punch to the ribs on the side that their back leg is. For ex. if his right leg is back, then that is the next knee; and if he is inexperienced, he will throw those multiples in a rhythm that can be timed.
    So, if you are capable of thinking in the heat of the moment, you can land that punch and use your weight to push him off balance at the same time. Pushing him off balance toward the front leg will take away his ability to throw the rear leg knee, as well as the front leg knee (which is rarely if never used). Since it is now gonna carry most of the weight trying to keep me from pushing that direction, it will put him on the defensive.

thats confusing. e.x. He's got his hands on the back of your neck with his elbows pointed vertically down controlling ur upper body. His right leg is in the back which will be the next knee thrown. Let him throw it. Block it by dropping your right hand in to a horizontal position. As soon as that leg lands on the ground, throw a left hook to the ribs(his right ribs). Immediately use your body weight to push him toward the ropes or the wall if he doesn't let go. Usually, if u land a solid hook to his ribs he WILL let go.

And, ur right ! It is always better to train with heavier people because then, fighting your own weight class is easier. That's why I talked about bigger stronger opponents, and guys that have the reach on me. When I am faced up with someone my own size it's like a gift from god!

Thanks and Merry X-mas.

Asnwers I forgot to cover

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    I take it you are a student of Ed Parker's style then?

I've seen some kenpo (I've seen it spelled Kempo) in action. Brutal, fast, destructive...basically "take no prisoners."

I actually missed the Krav Maga episode of Human Weapon. It seems somewhat like a hybrid martial art. I'm waiting for a repeat show. But this week there is the new Fight Quest which comes on at the same time (but on Discovery Channel).
    Yes. I am a direct descendant through my former sensei and the Tracy leg (there are two legs or ways of teaching kenpo that came out of Ed Parker's style) of Parker. Ed Parker was born ( i believe) in Hawaii where, he studied kenpo under William S. Chow - a Chinese American. Parker then modified it specifically for the streets of the U.S. mainland. If you Google ed Parker, you'll see he was quite an important figure in the history of martial arts in America. It's not a long history in America, it supposedly started here when the soldiers who fought against the Japanese in WW2 returned from war.

The difference in spelling between Kenpo or KeMpo - well it depends who you ask, some will say ignorantly that Kempo is Chinese and Kenpo is Japanese. One of my closest friends who got his BB with me, and is Asian American (Chinese) told me that it was a simple misunderstanding and that they both mean the same thing. Like many words in Asian languages you can have one word mean 2 to 3 different things. i.e. Ous ! Japanese for hello, goodbye, and I understand.

However, the three books by ed parker that I was required to read spelled it Kenpo, and the Encyclopedia of Martial Arts, uses the spelling Kempo until they get to ed Parker in which they then use the spelling Kenpo. But, they don't address the issue, they just switch spellings.

And, it is a "take no prisoner" brutal style that I don't want my sons to know yet which is why my 4 yr. old is in TSMMA. I figure, if he can take a kid down and hold him in a submission, the school can't say he should be suspended, and on the street he won't get arrested. When I feel he is old enough to understand the brutality of kenpo, I will teach it to him myself. Hopefully he'll reach a point when he knows he can be charged with excessive force, and, when he can't. My opinion- If you r a BB - "less is more". A 10-cent lawyer will argue " if you have a BB, then why couldn't you do less damage in defending yourself? The law sucks today and I don't want him knocked off his course for a good life simply because a slip and fall lawyer convinced a stupid jury that he committed a crime in defending himself.

Hell, if a guy breaks in to your house today u can't just shoot him like when I was a kid. If he has no gun, and you shoot him -at least in NY, each state is different, you could be charged with Manslaughter! How f-d up is that?
    Last edited by KenpoTkdAckTSK; 12-27-2007 at 10:37 PM.