Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Chan Tai San Footage

Old Chan Tai San Footage

Here is some old video footage of Chan Tai San for those that are interested. I am not sure how long ago this was but he was still fairly young.

Enjoy!!!
    Richard Chow

My School
    My Blog

Impressive!

He looks a bit older than his 30's or 40's like the vid says though. I'd say maybe in his 50's at the time, unless, my eyes are just that bad?

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    Impressive!

He looks a bit older than his 30's or 40's like the vid says though. I'd say maybe in his 50's at the time, unless, my eyes are just that bad?

jeff
    It's possible he is older in the video. I was guessing based on when he would have still been at the temple. I was thinking through the timeline and wondering if he would have still been there in his 50's. Maybe one of the other Chan Tai San students can verify when he moved to the US.
    Richard Chow

My School
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SifuChow View Post
    Here is some old video footage of Chan Tai San for those that are interested. I am not sure how long ago this was but he was still fairly young.

Enjoy!!!
    Very cool

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SifuChow View Post
    It's possible he is older in the video. I was guessing based on when he would have still been at the temple. I was thinking through the timeline and wondering if he would have still been there in his 50's. Maybe one of the other Chan Tai San students can verify when he moved to the US.

Really doesn't matter, though much more impressive done at an older age. In an case very impressive for sure.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Awesome footage. Thanks for sharing.

You can see the strength when he popped those wires. Great stuff!

He possess great chi !

Loved the form he did, you can see the power.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

What a cool video!! Thanks.

He's actually in his 60s in the video and it's shot around 1978/1981 when he was the coach of the Guangdong Demonstration team.

He is doing Lama at the temple, then does a bit of Lama followed by Bok Mei before the wire break.

It was around 1988 when I got this video tape, David Ross and I were in NYC Chinatown and I bought a Chi (Heih) Gung Demo tape. When I got home I was shocked to see that my Sifu was on it and called David right away. Nonetheless, it is a very cool clip.

I'm glad some of you have seen him now when he was a bit younger and it's obvious to see how much power he had. Compared to the average Chinese person (just look at the guy who put the wires on him) he was quite buff!

I still think he moved amazingly for someone at that age. I'm sure he was crazy-fast when he was in his 30's.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 01-15-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    He's actually in his 60s in the video and it's shot around 1978/1981 when he was the coach of the Guangdong Demonstration team.

He is doing Lama at the temple, then does a bit of Lama followed by Bok Mei before the wire break.

It was around 1988 when I got this video tape, David Ross and I were in NYC Chinatown and I bought a Chi (Heih) Gung Demo tape. When I got home I was shocked to see that my Sifu was on it and called David right away. Nonetheless, it is a very cool clip.

I'm glad some of you have seen him now when he was a bit younger and it's obvious to see how much power he had. Compared to the average Chinese person (just look at the guy who put the wires on him) he was quite buff!

I still think he moved amazingly for someone at that age. I'm sure he was crazy-fast when he was in his 30's.
    I figured late fifties to sixties, but thought that might be off due to the age listed on the website. Very impressive!

It's nice to see old footage of one's sifu before they were your sifu. I've seen stuff of mine and it's impressive as well. You see what they can do now and often wonder how they moved when they were quite younger.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

One can see how powerful and fast he was and not for a "guy of his age", no, just pain fast and powerful.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post

Thanks for clarifying!!! I noted the age on the posting now. I am still trying to figure out when/what age Sifu arrived in North America. Do you know how old he was? I thought it was at a younger age which is why I figured that he must be still early 40's in the video. I believe he was around 70 when I met him and yes, he was definitely fast...he did a few things to me during training that made me scratch my head and ask "what just happened???"
    Richard Chow

My School
    My Blog

I never paid all that much attention but it appears to me that he does the same routine before popping the wires (saw it live a few times also). Is this true? Or is it a bit more random?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

I remember, Mike bought the video tape and goes home, I get a FRANTIC call from him! "Sifu is on the tape".... I was like "no f-in way!" but lo and behold there he was.....

It was shot when he was coaching the Guangdong team, but I have to check what dates those were....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I don't think it was too random, he used to do pretty much the same thing most of the time, usually about 80% the same.