Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun sparring clip

Quote Originally Posted by aaron baum View Post
    hi guys...

cheers CFT...i wanted to train with leo in the future and learn what he had to give in the way of shooting and grappling etc...i respect him, what hes done and the fact that we were in his school...would you roll with any Wing Chun master first time and try to smash him really hard? If i had hit him hard he may have second thoughts on wanting to teach me, plus he can hit like a mother and why do i want to end up full power sparring with MMA gloves on at 6AM with a beast? i wanted to learn what he had, not stop him showing me what he could do..i caught him with a couple of nice shots, nothing crazy, he acknowledged after that i had power, i acknowledged he could kick my arse and it was all good after....i didnt need to prove i could hurt him to stop him taking me down.....still should of sprawled though!! ah the tree trunk defence strikes again!!

best

aaron
    You know Aaron ,
    what you did was the proper way to train and spar ,, regardless of what style or what '' techniques '' are being used and to what ever degree causal observers and back seat drivers wish to see LOL

Sparring is not fighting ,, it's a work out and it's fun ,, your asking the guy in front of you to hold up a mirror through his eyes to help you improve ,, not some ego driven smash and pound d*ck swinging campaign ....

I was always brought up to look for guys that exploited my weakness and to be thankful for that ,,, if one spends his time trying to '' show how good he is '' then he never learns and his skills will get stagnate or he just injures his partners and runs out of people to train with real quick =)

Allan and yourself and crew are doing good things and shedding light on what '' real'' training is like regardless of what ever our VT differences might be I got respect for you cats doing your thing , your way and opening the minds of people that '' talk '' instead of ''experience ''

to bad I didn't run into you guys a few years back when I was more into my sparring and conditioning ,, man we would have had fun !

keep up the good work and good luck to you and the crew in all the adventures the future will bring you !

wing chun needs a breath of fresh air
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    From my perspective, there is no "wing chun theory". There is what works for you and what doesn't. The "theory" is mostly the ramblings of people who can't make it work, have some lame ideas on how it should work, and put those ideas into pretentious form.
    Familiar ramblings there Terence! Totally understandable, if everyone was you, but I have to say a word for us 'theoretical types' as I believe that 'theory' is what makes Wing Chun Wing Chun! That is what highlights a 'schooled' student. And ultimately that is what unifies ALL OF US.

After meeting Alan and Aaron only once I, at least, can say that I am TRYING to enter the debate. I'm TRYING to hear how others train. I'm TRYING to get out there and actually meet people. And I'm TRYING to learn from people with genuine skill. Not only that, but I'll probably be at the next meeting too and assist as much as I can in the development of a safe chisau competition at Seni this year. These guys came across as humble, seasoned fighters and teachers who only want to see the standard raise and for Wing Chun to regain some credibility in the MMA circuits. All good imho and well worth looking into further.

A refreshing outlook for the future of the Wing Chun Family...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 02-11-2008 at 10:12 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    to bad I didn't run into you guys a few years back when I was more into my sparring and conditioning ,, man we would have had fun !
    Ernie,

Stop talking like an old man. It weirds me out.

Other than that, I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Ernie,

Stop talking like an old man. It weirds me out.

Other than that, I agree with you.
    LOL just being honest bro

I know what it takes to train / spar at a decent level and I have grown tired of being on the injured reserved list

looking forward to my golden years
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Hi Guys

Yes, its interesting. This was Aaron and Leo playing. As the spar was very light Aaron was not hitting hard at all. Would he be taking down anyway? Maybe or maybe not if he landed hard punches, but its not the point at all. Leo is also a very strong striker. In the end that was not the reason for both of them to train. Leo is a very cool guy and as Aaron said we went to him to train our BJJ. Leo has said many times that my guys are excellent strikers. He is a very opened minded teacher and was interested in the way we used own body structure. Thats what you find in MMA. Guys listen to what works. Thats the way we train our wing chun. This clip was not really as a sparring match as all. It was just training. It was not a fight at all.

Best

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Hi Guys

Yes, its interesting. This was Aaron and Leo playing. As the spar was very light Aaron was not hitting hard at all. Would he be taking down anyway? Maybe or maybe not if he landed hard punches, but its not the point at all. Leo is also a very strong striker. In the end that was not the reason for both of them to train. Leo is a very cool guy and as Aaron said we went to him to train our BJJ. Leo has said many times that my guys are excellent strikers. He is a very opened minded teacher and was interested in the way we used own body structure. Thats what you find in MMA. Guys listen to what works. Thats the way we train our wing chun. This clip was not really as a sparring match as all. It was just training. It was not a fight at all.

Best

Alan
    I was just gonna add that, by the way Leo moved his head and hands and by his footwork that he had some striking (probably boxing or MT or both) in his background.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

hi ernie...your never too old my son!

im sure one day we will end up meeting and training together...i look forward to it whenever it happens...you talk a lot of sense mate...

all the best

aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    LOL just being honest bro

I know what it takes to train / spar at a decent level and I have grown tired of being on the injured reserved list

looking forward to my golden years
    I'm just joshing you. No worries.

Have we really learnt anything from this clip? Like all the other grappler VS kungfu clips?

Question: If someone was determined to take you down, and he's willing to compromise his safety on entry, is it possible to stop this person without being fully committed yourself?

In my experience, the answer is no.

Question 2: Without taking the grapplers route, what could one do to prevent the take-down?

The answer is elementry

becomming better at standup grappling is the only way to prevent take downs in any sort of reliable way.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Familiar ramblings there Terence! Totally understandable, if everyone was you, but I have to say a word for us 'theoretical types' as I believe that 'theory' is what makes Wing Chun Wing Chun! That is what highlights a 'schooled' student. And ultimately that is what unifies ALL OF US.
    Well, don't count me as one of "you".

Theory doesn't "make" WCK any more than theory makes boxing or wrestling or BJJ. Can anyone imagine a boxer or wrestler or BJJ fighter or MT fighter saying something like "if you don't use boxing or wrestling or BJJ or MT theory it's not boxing or wrestling or BJJ or MT"? Theory is only what "makes" WCK for theoreticians.

Quote Originally Posted by chisauking View Post
    Have we really learnt anything from this clip? Like all the other grappler VS kungfu clips?

Question: If someone was determined to take you down, and he's willing to compromise his safety on entry, is it possible to stop this person without being fully committed yourself?

In my experience, the answer is no.

Question 2: Without taking the grapplers route, what could one do to prevent the take-down?

The answer is elementry
    Quite, Chuck Lidell for example, knows the answer.

becomming better at standup grappling is the only way to prevent take downs in any sort of reliable way.
    That may either be part of the answer or the wrong answer...

what do you believe to be the right answer?

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Well, don't count me as one of "you".
    I'll be sure not to get myself confused...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    what do you believe to be the right answer?
    I believe that wither you choose to favour stand up grappling or striking, its WHO and HOW you spar and drill against that will decide how effective your chosen mode is.
    Stand up grappling can be the worse possible thing to counter a take down because it can play perfectly into a grapplers game, it also can, if trained correctly, shut him down.
    The issue is what TYPE of stand up grappling and VS whom its is trained.
    If one is a striker and that is what one has done for years, to change the mode from striking to stand up grappling may be worse than just adapting the striking game to what is needed.
    yes you will always need to add some type of stand up grappling (clinch work and sprawls) but that is quite different than resorting to stand up grappling.