Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you know of KIU SAO...???

Then Train More

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    thats coming from someone of your size. Someone my size doesn't get that advantage. A stronger, faster, opponent is always going to have an edge. Thats why you must get a technique advantage. Sometimes you just are not lucky, and you must live with a disadvantage. A faster, stronger, more technical person...

Are you a man, just like the man that will be attacking you? You have arms like him, you have legs like him and you have a mind like him… The only thing that stopping one is ones self (mentality), because one is unsure and or have lack of confidence, hence: self-made coward…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-18-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Are you a man, just like the man that will be attacking you? You have arms like him, you have legs like him and you have a mind like him… The only thing that stopping one is ones self (mentality), because one is unsure and or have lack of confidence, hence: self-made coward…

Ali Rahim.
    again I don't believe all things are equal. Thats what I have found with experience. Knowing reality and knowing your limit is not being a coward in fact its logical. Have a bloated sense of reality, pretending that basic logical doesn't hold true in fighting (or anything else) is not only dumb but dangerous.

Talking That’s Soft

again I don't believe all things are equal. Thats what I have found with experience. Knowing reality and knowing your limit is not being a coward in fact its logical. Have a bloated sense of reality, pretending that basic logical doesn't hold true in fighting (or anything else) is not only dumb but dangerous.

Be serious guys it’s not that way all the time… how many times will you get caught up in a street fight when the guy is bigger then you by that much (200lb) and just decide to try you… For most of you guys the chances of getting in a street fight is like getting bit in the a$$ by a fire breathing dragon… Hell, for that matter, I know smaller guys that pick fights with big guys...

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-18-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Be serious guys it’s not that way all the time… how many times will you get caught up in a street fight when the guy is bigger then you by that much (200lb) and just decide to try you… For most of you guys the chances of getting in a street fight is like getting bit in the a$$ by a fire breathing dragon… Hell, for that matter, I know smaller guys that pick fights with big guys...

Ali Rahim.
    You misunderstand what I'm saying. I am not saying little people fight big people all the time. I'm saying don't assume you have a natural advantage. Don't train, develop techniques, and think you will be stronger or faster or prepared ect.. You may always be those things, but its common sense to take the harder longer road. Again thats what I have found from experience. I personally have rarely seen a fight were two people look at each other and face off. Its normally been a few seconds into the fight that the person realizes whats going on.
    Last edited by monji112000; 02-18-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Question

You misunderstand what I'm saying. I am not saying little people fight big people all the time. I'm saying don't assume you have a natural advantage. Don't train, develop techniques, and think you will be stronger or faster or prepared ect.. You may always be those things, but its common sense to take the harder longer road. Again thats what I have found from experience. I personally have rarely seen a fight were two people look at each other and face off. Its normally been a few seconds into the fight that the person realizes whats going on.

HUMMM, Ok...

Kiu Sau?? What do I know...

I know that this 'concept', if you want to call it that, is not limited to a 'bridge' between two people (hand2hand, leg2leg, leg2hand etc).

When you cross-arms (Sup Yee Sau) at the beginning of all your forms and use the push/pull pressure, this can also be referred to as a 'bridge hand'. Simply you are reinforcing your own strength by bridging your own hand, same as using the wusau to press against your extended arm to assist the punch.

A movement that portrays this is the Dai Lim Tao set of Gulo WCK, where the wusau is placed against the other arm whilst moving the familiar '3 prayers' set from SLT (hence why the set is referred to as the BIG idea).

A very feminine way to use the concept I know, but something to be considered too imho...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Kiu Sao -

"People are trying to put a lot of difficult meanings to a simple principles"

Quote Originally Posted by VingDragon View Post
    Kiu Sao -

Beautifully put!

Have bridge, cross; no bridge, strike.

Kiu Sao -

Yeah, but isn't that the rule on Wing Chun internet forums "Make simple things more complicated, to make yourself look more intelligent, knowledgable, higher level, better, etc... to others", when in reality none of us give a damm

James

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Yeah, but isn't that the rule on Wing Chun internet forums "Make simple things more complicated, to make yourself look more intelligent, knowledgable, higher level, better, etc... to others", when in reality none of us give a damm
    James
    Thats certainly how i try to articulate my cognitive thought patterns from man to heaven then earth to internet. LOL

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    "Make simple things more complicated, to make yourself look more intelligent, knowledgable, higher level, better, etc... to others"
    yes, its true but life and reality is simple, don't complicate it

I'm normal and rather stay away from the cultish doctrines

Hey Derek,

I totally agree with you, I was being monkey

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Have bridge, cross; no bridge, strike.
    Nice simple translation of a Kuen Kuit 'Hint & Tip'. I would hope that this isn't the only reference everybody has to Kiu Sau in their WCK...

Originally Posted by sihing
    "Make simple things more complicated, to make yourself look more intelligent, knowledgable, higher level, better, etc... to others"

yes, its true but life and reality is simple, don't complicate it

I'm normal and rather stay away from the cultish doctrines
    Honestly, if the translation of two characters seems so overly complicated and 'more intelligent' than all the theorizing about what we all think it is I can see why you even 'think' that Cultish doctrines exist!

Why are you training in Wing Chun? Those two characters themselves suggest written chants and perpetual new beginnings. Nothing cultish about that, nor secret as long as you put the time in to even 'accept' that this Martial Art we all discuss here was not invented by the English speaking world...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Spencer,
    I'm sorry but I think I did not understand you well enough,

...and who told you I'm trening Wing Chun?

I have ideas of my own - but I'd like to hear what some of you think about how to use bridging (kiu) when dealing with wrestlers/grapplers who are either going for a direct shoot to the legs....or MORE OFTEN...after they've set it up with a high punch and then a shoot...or perhaps they're going for an attempt at a body clinch to a takedown, throw, or sweep...or they go for a clinch or a shoot as (or immediately after) you throw a punch.

Clearly the contact reflex skills learned in wing chun (through chi sao, through various kiu sao drills, ie.- and even bong/lop drills qualify as one example)...should help to stop/counter shoots and body clinches....along with punching, sticking, angling and sidestepping footwork, etc.

In other words - INTERCEPTING their arms/hands with a bridge (kiu) connection of some sort - along with less of a forward leg stance than what they're commonly used to seeing - so that you pick your spots more carefully about when to step in with a lead leg from a more squared stance to attack him.

This kind of bridging should create much bigger problems for the wrestler/grappler than if you're simply boxing (or kick boxing) for example - giving them a clearer path to follow (and more of a lead leg to isolate and shoot for) as they attempt to close in and grab you.

Not that I personally am downplaying the importance of being able to wrestle/grapple - including use of sprawls, cross faces, w h i z z e r s , and so on...

but I think real good kiu sao skills - and especially from ranges extending slightly longer than basic double arm chi sao range - can really help one's skills and effectiveness against the wrestler/grappler - in conjunction with some of the other crosstrained skills I just referred to.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-24-2008 at 01:55 PM.