Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: greatest martial artist

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Wow, your spelling sucks on this forum too!
    What words did I not spell correctly beside sacluded(sp?)?

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post

I think he mis-wrote. You suck, in general! You are afraid of VD but you know VD is the answer, so give in and get VD (on your list), got that, dude!
    Bless you

Gene ching aka iron crotch kick
    Don't think about being good in the next year or five years...think about being good in the next 50 years. Learn to love the process of being good, not the anticipation of being good.

You knew it was spelled wrong but you were too lazy to go and find the correct spelling? That's weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hung gar View Post
    Gene ching aka iron crotch kick

How could we have forgot?????

FTW!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    You knew it was spelled wrong but you were too lazy to go and find the correct spelling? That's weak.
    Dude just sucks! (a.k.a. he's fed up w/ the eevay eeday)
    Bless you

greatest living Martuial artist-

probably Dan Inosantos-look at all the things he has done for the Martial Arts on almost all levels

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by drleungjohn View Post
    probably Dan Inosantos-look at all the things he has done for the Martial Arts on almost all levels

-and let's not forget his famous quote'

"How do ya like tha-"(POW!)
    -the nunchaku scene in "Game of Death"

In terms of global effect and leaving a legacy, no one comes close to Kano. He went from a few students in a tiny room to a worldwide martial art (perhaps the most popular martial art in the world, do you have any idea how many people in France alone do Judo?). It became an Olympic sport. It's training methodology, "randori", changed martial arts altogether and gave birth directly to Sambo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and San Shou/San Da. That's a hard act to follow

The next one on the list is probably also associated with JMA, Mas Oyama. Oyama revitalized the idea of Karate as fighting art. He also went from a small group to a truely international organization. Kyokushinkai then gave birth to both the entire Japanese and Holland kickboxing communities! The Japanese kickboxing community in return gave birth to the pseudo "stiff style" pro wrestling movement which gave birth to MMA in Japan. Then of course there are the offshoots like Daijuku, Sabaki, Ashihara, etc

Love him or hate him (most hate him), Cheng Man Ching made Tai Chi popular and international

General Choi of course coined the term "Tae Kwon Do", forced all the major Korean martial arts to unify under it and was the first to dream up exporting a martial art as an economic venture

Young Shul Choi was one of the few dissenters and his Hapkido also led to Hwarang Do, Kuk Sool Won, Yu Sool, and a number of other offshoots. Ultimately, Korea created an organization just for Hapkido and it's offshoots, the Korean Ki Do Association.

Unfortunately, CMA is still relatively obscure compared to JMA and KMA
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    In terms of global effect and leaving a legacy, no one comes close to Kano. He went from a few students in a tiny room to a worldwide martial art (perhaps the most popular martial art in the world, do you have any idea how many people in France alone do Judo?). It became an Olympic sport. It's training methodology, "randori", changed martial arts altogether and gave birth directly to Sambo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and San Shou/San Da. That's a hard act to follow

The next one on the list is probably also associated with JMA, Mas Oyama. Oyama revitalized the idea of Karate as fighting art. He also went from a small group to a truely international organization. Kyokushinkai then gave birth to both the entire Japanese and Holland kickboxing communities! The Japanese kickboxing community in return gave birth to the pseudo "stiff style" pro wrestling movement which gave birth to MMA in Japan. Then of course there are the offshoots like Daijuku, Sabaki, Ashihara, etc

Love him or hate him (most hate him), Cheng Man Ching made Tai Chi popular and international

General Choi of course coined the term "Tae Kwon Do", forced all the major Korean martial arts to unify under it and was the first to dream up exporting a martial art as an economic venture

Young Shul Choi was one of the few dissenters and his Hapkido also led to Hwarang Do, Kuk Sool Won, Yu Sool, and a number of other offshoots. Ultimately, Korea created an organization just for Hapkido and it's offshoots, the Korean Ki Do Association.

Unfortunately, CMA is still relatively obscure compared to JMA and KMA
    Funny, all the people you mentioned advocated pressure testing the system to see what actually worked...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Funny, all the people you mentioned advocated pressure testing the system to see what actually worked...
    Actually, neither Young Shul Choi nor Cheng Man Ching really did, but you might note their place in the larger picture is smaller than the likes of Kano and Oyama.

Kano really was the granddaddy of pressure testing, and also the largest and most successful of all, hmmmmmmmm

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Actually, neither Young Shul Choi nor Cheng Man Ching really did, but you might note their place in the larger picture is smaller than the likes of Kano and Oyama.

Kano really was the granddaddy of pressure testing, and also the largest and most successful of all, hmmmmmmmm
    Kano didn't do anything new really, except make it "safe" to go all out, randori was common place in jujtsu, it just tended to be "rough n tumble" with lots of injuries and as such, it became less frequent and less intense.
    Kano showed that one doesn't need the "uber deadly" to be effective, matter of fact he showed that the basics that one learns in the first couple of years of any system, when trained on a regular basis in the randori method ( I will nott use the term alive) could actually beat the "uber deadly advanced" techniques that, by their very nature, couldn't be trained to their fullest.

Of course the great paradox was that those that trained the basics coudl more easily pull of the "uber deadly" anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

Kano showed that one doesn't need the "uber deadly" to be effective, matter of fact he showed that the basics that one learns in the first couple of years of any system, when trained on a regular basis in the randori method ( I will nott use the term alive) could actually beat the "uber deadly advanced" techniques that, by their very nature, couldn't be trained to their fullest.
    but that in itself is HUGE and changes everything

but that in itself is HUGE and changes everything
    Did it change things or bring them back to the way they were?

In your opinion who do you think is the greatest martial artist of all time (and you can't say Bruce Lee)?

I have to say that mas oyama would have to rank up there with one of the best martial artist of all time. The reason I say this is because of his dedication to his training while sacluded (sp?) in the mountains for a year and the harsh conditions that he endured such as standing under ice cold waterfalls, etc.... Now thats devotion! Also another great martial artist IMO is (not Van ****) is Dr. Yang Jing Meng because of all his vast knowledge.

Sun Lu Tang, Huo yuan Jia, Yuen Kay San and many others in TCMA.

Masutatsu Oyama, Gogen Yamaguchi, Gichin Funakoshi in TJMA.