View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 641 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1415415916316396406416426436516917411141 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,615 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Well I think I know what you mean when you say twist hit. The tech is dependant upon the range it can lock down and break one or both arms or can double blosk dbl punches and break or it can just block and punch someone or it can block with the initial punch as you grab with the back arm then counter or if you use the Wing Chun or White crane concept the twist hit assumes the center line and deflects an oncoming attack as you grab and kick simultaneously. of course there are more but I dont type well KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Have y'all hit a heavy bag with the "slashing fist"? What type of power do you generate compared to other punches?
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I dont think power is the focus for the Leopard Slashing fist as in 5 animal and Leopard fist. KC

F=M.A
    Pressure points.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

From a Biomechanical stand point hitting a Heavy bag with some techniques is not too smart if you hit with force > 75%. Such as Round House kicks etc unless it is a water filled bag and not a cotton with a sand Core. Some MA tech put the Joints at risk if you strike a Hard surface. The leopard Slashing strike is a "raking Tech" where the speed and glancing force of the points is the "focus" of the tech. KC

A gimp needs help on deciding.

Greetings everyone, my appologies for butting in. However I have reached a delima, the local MA place is shaolin do, of course i live in kentucky, i went for a viewing to see thier forms and watch the movements to see if it would be right for me. I have back problems from lifting a crate that was supposed to be empty but was filled with copper plates, also caused degernative disc disease to progress even faster and have lost nearly an inch of my hight thus far.

What i am asking is there any other alternatives to learn martial arts rather than going to the only place available to you? The shaolin do here looked very sloppy, brown belts are very sloppy and wobbly, the older blackbelts seem to have better form, but the room is just way too small for it and i do not think the respect and discipline are practiced very well there. There was a Teenager swinging a sword around while little kids were walking behind him. Sloppy very sloppy. I know this doesnt reflect on the other schools, but this one just is not my cup of tea. Any training videos with step by step lessions or anything would help.

Thanks in advance,

Freebird

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Greetings everyone, my appologies for butting in. However I have reached a delima, the local MA place is shaolin do, of course i live in kentucky, i went for a viewing to see thier forms and watch the movements to see if it would be right for me. I have back problems from lifting a crate that was supposed to be empty but was filled with copper plates, also caused degernative disc disease to progress even faster and have lost nearly an inch of my hight thus far.

What i am asking is there any other alternatives to learn martial arts rather than going to the only place available to you? The shaolin do here looked very sloppy, brown belts are very sloppy and wobbly, the older blackbelts seem to have better form, but the room is just way too small for it and i do not think the respect and discipline are practiced very well there. There was a Teenager swinging a sword around while little kids were walking behind him. Sloppy very sloppy. I know this doesnt reflect on the other schools, but this one just is not my cup of tea. Any training videos with step by step lessions or anything would help.

Thanks in advance,

Freebird
    Where are you in Ky?

Something Different

Freebird - PM me. I may be able to help you out.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

I would post that, but i dont want any greif really, just want to know if there are any alternatives. I probably live 100miles west of you if lexington is where you live. I dont wanna get this place in trouble, i just want to know if there are any alternatives. The people training there really like it there and you can tell they are happy with thier accomplishments when you talk to them. We viewed we discussed, i found this site, and am looking for insght.

I am a father of 2 and married, i want my family involved to help keep us all interested in going and continuing training. There are some other martial arts places in louisville and the like but driving in a vehicle for nearly an hour kills me. So i live in the boonies ( hills, country, boondocks). Ive seen on this site and others and even googled for styles of kung fu tai chi and the such, just not sure what would be the best. I am not wanting to learn Japanese martial arts. Nothing against them, but i just like the chinese styles. I dont expect to go out here take a flying leap and land in the top of a tree or anything, but, lol, i would like to gain better physical and mental strength with the art.

Just want schools that sell instructional videos (dvd perferred) so i can start and get my family into it aswell. If you guys & gals can list a few that are legit and not somekinda hyped up marketing gimmick, which im not sure what im looking for on google, then it would be really really helpful.

Thanks again,

Freebird

BentMonk i sent you a PM, didnt see your message till after i posted this one.
    Last edited by Freebird; 04-28-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: cause i needed to.

?????????

freebird i am curious as to where you are located, as to what all is around you, just send a message. i am also really curious about the school you spoke of? my school is about 100 west of lexington?? i hope it wasnt me
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

hehe, that is the reason i will not name the place, Its not the teacher, he can only do so much ya know? Well on the side of removing the studens from the building, which would not be good since there really are not alot of students there to begin with, its a small place. My wife just said its like adhd kids bouncing off the walls .. They were full of energy not listening and being careless. She says the same thing i do he can only do so much without actully having to remove the children al together. It could be this way with many schools.. I guess i expected to go in there to see well disciplined & trained people, rather than kids running around wrestling, bouncing superballs lol.. He could be laxed (relaxed) about that stuff though. Didnt seem to bother him too much really. I just dont wanna be amongst it.

I have ADD but with age the hyper has slowed downed although being around loud background noise gets me going. It sucks and my eldest son has it too.
    Someone needs to forward Freebird's message to all the SD instructors.
    Trouble is, there are people who teach that really are not good. I have seen small clubs with excellent instructors and large schools with less than impressive instruction and the other way around too.
    My instructor never had much more than twenty people and he was one of the best, albeit he was not as high a rank as many. So you can not base it on rank either. And some of higher rank may not be that good. I know that statement will upset some but I heard the top two BB say that.
    Last edited by BM2; 04-29-2008 at 08:14 AM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Quote from SevenStar

Is this place legit?

Is this place legit? If not please let me know, cause it looks cool.. Again i dont know what im looking for lol.. http://www.shaolin.com.au/cyber.html

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Looks lame to me.

Wing Lam:
    http://www.wle.com/store/winglamVideos.html

Doc Fai Wong:
    http://plumblossom.net/distance.html

I've never done either, but they seem to get good reviews. Doc Fai Wong actually corresponds with his distance students, which sounds pretty cool.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.