Page 16 of 80 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    The question is, how can someone on these forums claim to know what the original hebrew said?
    You weren't told about our time machine?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I am not interested in getting into the middle of this argument. Most of the comments here are terribly ill-informed.

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew. Some of the New Testament was written in Greek and some in Aramaic. It is known what the original Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic texts meant, or what the extant copies that are used to translate the Bible meant, because many of these manuscripts actually exist and the meaning of ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic words are known.

There are individuals that spend their lives researching and studying these things. One of my buddy's father is a Hebrew and Aramaic scholar and has helped to translate the Bible into many different languages around the world. It is actually quite fascinating how they determine what the words and phrases actually meant and as with all things there are debates and disagreements as well.

If anyone is actually interested in learning what the actual texts say it is possible to get a copy of the Bible with numbered notes that correspond to a compendium of Greek and Hebrew words in a lexicon called Strong's Concordance.

It is also possible to get a direct word for word translation of the original Greek and Hebrew texts separately or along side a modern translation, not to mention the innumerable commentaries that are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I am not interested in getting into the middle of this argument. Most of the comments here are terribly ill-informed.

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew. Some of the New Testament was written in Greek and some in Aramaic. It is known what the original Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic texts meant, or what the extant copies that are used to translate the Bible meant, because many of these manuscripts actually exist and the meaning of ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic words are known.

There are individuals that spend their lives researching and studying these things. One of my buddy's father is a Hebrew and Aramaic scholar and has helped to translate the Bible into many different languages around the world. It is actually quite fascinating how they determine what the words and phrases actually meant and as with all things there are debates and disagreements as well.
    You are quite correct, the Vatican library has quite a few.

If anyone is actually interested in learning what the actual texts say it is possible to get a copy of the Bible with numbered notes that correspond to a compendium of Greek and Hebrew words in a lexicon called Strong's Concordance.

It is also possible to get a direct word for word translation of the original Greek and Hebrew texts separately or along side a modern translation, not to mention the innumerable commentaries that are available.
    I have the trilingual bible and it is very interesting to say the least.
    The old testament being in Hebrew and english and the New in Greek and English
    Side by side ( m ore or less).

I strongly recommend STRONG's Concordance if you are interested in what the words actually meant. The King James version has a lot of inaccuracies. The more modern translations of the Bible are much more accurate and many of them come with historical information to add context to the passages.

For example in Greek there are three different words that are translated in the Bible as Love.

Agape = Unconditional/Spiritual Love
    Eros = Erotic Love
    Philia = Brotherly Love

If one is reading a passage it is important to understand which Greek word was used in order to fully understand what the passage is meant to teach.

That must be why all the ladies be sayin: "dayum lucas I got me the Eros bad for you"

it all makes sense now...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

For example in Greek there are three different words that are translated in the Bible as Love.

Agape = Unconditional/Spiritual Love
    Eros = Erotic Love
    Philia = Brotherly Love

If one is reading a passage it is important to understand which Greek word was used in order to fully understand what the passage is meant to teach.
    Four, weren't there?

Actually. there are at least 5, but as I recall there are only 3 used in the New Testament. If I am remembering incorrectly I would be interested to know in what passages the other ones may be found.

I strongly recommend STRONG's Concordance if you are interested in what the words actually meant. The King James version has a lot of inaccuracies. The more modern translations of the Bible are much more accurate and many of them come with historical information to add context to the passages.
    I will look that up, thank you.
    The trilingual one is almost a literal translation form one language to another, sometimes not making grammatic sense for obvious reasons, I have actuallied looked up the hebrew characters (for example) and they are consistent through out the book.

What's your opinion of Young's Literal Translation?

It is not without its faults.
    Even in literal translations, the translator has, naturally, biases and still has to pick which of the various meanings any given term means.

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    What's your opinion of Young's Literal Translation?
    It's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksawild View Post
    It's hilarious.
    How so? Or are you just riding the trolly?

Greetings..

It's interesting how folks end up debating so passionately about Christianity.. not so much about other religions.. it seems more like they are searching for validity or consensus, even when playing "devi'ls advocate".. the lifetimes devoted to translating and correlating data to arrive at the same conclusion, we just don't know.. there's so much conflicting "evidence", all of it hearsay, that it wouldn't even be heard as a legal arguement in a civil case..

Just choose your rbeliefs, and get on with living them..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"