Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: the problem with forms

Does Jason Yee train for his fights using only forms? If not, I don't think it counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Does Jason Yee train for his fights using only forms? If not, I don't think it counts!
    (sarcasm)

strangely, Jason used to hit pads, kick a heavy bag, do drills in shin pads and sparred a lot.....

(/sarcasm)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

So what you are saying is, training in forms does make one a better fighter, right?

Its still a half strawman with no legs.

I obviously don't belong in this conversation. Because to most of you its an either/or proposition.

I did it all, so did you, Ross. I did form work as part of a greater whole. Along with pad, bag, sparring etc etc etc. A repetition of a strike is a repetition of a strike. Its asinine to think that the same flexion and extension of the muscles needed are somehow alien if done in different methods.

Yeah Abel,

No one else here ever trained/trains like that but you and Ross!

I know its hard, but, don't be stupid. Thats not what I meant.

You are the one on his high horse. I was making a joke! Try not being so stupid yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post

I obviously don't belong in this conversation.
    and yet...........

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post

I did it all, so did you, Ross.
    and I've said many times that I wasted a huge amount of time with many things associated with "tradition" and swore I'd never waste my students' time with it.....

So don't try and drag me onto "your side"

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I like the way everyone just shrugs off point fighters when some of them can probably beat the crap out a few of the naysayers here.

So because they point fight that means they have zero real fighting skills. That hardly a logical deduction.

Chuck Norris was just a standup fighter (and at one time a point fighter) so since he isn't MMA I guess Golden Arhat can take him easily.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post

I like the way everyone just shrugs off point fighters when some of them can probably beat the crap out a few of the naysayers here.
    anything is possible, but I've been at this for a long time, I really really really really doubt it

Anyone who wants to spar at NY San Da is welcome to do so (you might want to ask a few forum members who have been here about it!!)

Playing tag is not the same thing as getting hit and hitting someone else, rolling on the floor and getting cold c0cked in the back of the head with a bottle.

Point fighting is a game, it is not a fight. Having said that just because one plays tag does not mean they can't fight, but neither does it automatically mean they can fight.

The most efficient use of ones time is to train according to the manner in which you expect to perform. The body responds best when you train in this manner.

So if you want to punch people, practice punching people, if you want to roll on the floor with people, practice rolling on the floor with people. If you want to dance, then dance. There is nothing wrong with dancing, but don't think that dancing prepares you for bullfighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Simple. If you like forms, you obviously don't use pads, spar, or anything else. If you happen to like forms, or even see any use for them, and are not bowing to the alter of MMA, they simply ignore you. I can't honestly think of once Ross acknowledged SPJ on a thread like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

everyone has an opinion, not all opinions are equal, it's tough, people hate it, but it is still true

Said it before, in TCMA a lot of talk about fighting, not so much fighting. If you are so confident in what you do, enter a FULL CONTACT MATCH, not point sparring. See how you do.

My guys have done boxing, kickboxing, San Shou, San da, Muay Thai, submission grappling, and MMA. We aren't about a "rules set", we're about being able to use what we practice for REAL

I've been doing this since 1994. My results are well documented. Show me something comparable and we can give some weight to your talk, without it, it is just talk

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Said it before, in TCMA a lot of talk about fighting, not so much fighting. If you are so confident in what you do, enter a FULL CONTACT MATCH, not point sparring. See how you do....
    I endever not to chicken out one of these times.

There's a nice grappling/submission wrestling turny in Denver on the 10th I'm trying to talk myself into. Sounds like a good place to start if I really want to know how I'd fair against "real" grapplers. I'm about as novice at submission wrestling as it gets, so if I fall flat on my face, no one would be suprized.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I endever not to chicken out one of these times.

There's a nice grappling/submission wrestling turny in Denver on the 10th I'm trying to talk myself into. Sounds like a good place to start if I really want to know how I'd fair against "real" grapplers. I'm about as novice at submission wrestling as it gets, so if I fall flat on my face, no one would be suprized.....
    What exactly would there to be afraid of? That you might lose? My sifu was a feared and respected fighter, he also flat out told us MANY time that he had lost QUITE A FEW matches.... and was BETTER for each of them

The only thing you'd have to fear, would be "discovering" that, gasp, you are human and can lose, and that there is something more to learn

Only people with a vested interest in perpetuating a myth would fear competition