Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who are the best Chinese teachers today?

Shaolin Temple Overseas Headquarters

I have to say check out STOH. Guolin is old school. And the young wushu/chi na masters are a lot of fun. Bare bones, unpretentious training. They just put out a video on youtube that shows what's on offer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XnnFn-0NU

Quote Originally Posted by nuxia View Post
    I have to say check out STOH. Guolin is old school. And the young wushu/chi na masters are a lot of fun. Bare bones, unpretentious training. They just put out a video on youtube that shows what's on offer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XnnFn-0NU

He's become a bit controversial of late what with the suicide of the disciple and the fingers pointing at him and so on. I am not certain that ST in america is held in the same regard it once was.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    At this point I would rather keep this strictly to the Chinese teachers only.

As for how I would answer my own question, I have already mentioned Johnny Tsai and his Father (who is in Shandong currently). also, Wai Lun Choi is highly respected as an old style teacher whos emphasis is on actual fighting usage.

Does anyone have any other Chinese masters that are really good?
    Li Yen Hoa, one of the 12 discliples of Chui Chuk Kai, teaches Tai Chi Praying Mantis here in Grand Rapids.
    The website for his school is www.sifulee.com
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist View Post
    Gm Tony Yang
    Gm Marlon Ma
    Gm Su YU Chang
    Gm Huang
    Gm Tai Yim
    Gm Sun De Yao
    Gm Chan
    Gm Hsu
    M Tsou
    Gm KUrt Wong
    Gm Henry Chung
    GM Lilly Lau
    GM ON ON ON ON the list is long
    Seeing how i have met and know many of these very well i can honestly say that this list is full of high quality "Chinese Bloodline" Teachers
    THese are all Chinese/ both PROC and ROC

However the list hurts some really high quality western GM
    GM Mike Barry
    GM NIck Gracenin
    MASTER NICK SCRIMA

oh and in the spirit of comedy let us NOT FORGET
    GRAND MASTER FLASH AND MASTER P
    Good List Sifu Darkfist!

Mulong- you'd just have to know them to know.

I also second Tai Chi Mantis with Li Yen Hoa. Another good one in GR is Sifu Chan. In New York-- Tony Chuy. Don't forget Lily Lau's little brother James Lau. For more westerners- ad Sifu Raymond Fogg and his kung fu exchange disciples. Don't forget the all important Cung Le. Another good one in GR is Sifu Duffin.

Didn't read the whole thread because the first page was political and no one gave an answer.

I'd suggest Master David Bond Chan in NYC.

THe whole "Chinese" thing is relevant in a way. A American would not have been able to get some of the instruction Master Chan received.

His Ba Gua comes from Master Wong Ztong Fei (I'm sure I screwed that up). And his Hsing-I comes from Master Sau, the head coach of the Beijing Wushu team when Jet LI demonstrated for Nixon.

Master Wong was discovered through a Chinese friend and Master Chan had money at the time to pay for him to come and stay in NYC to learn privately.

Master Chan hosted Master Sau and his family during his US visit and was informed by Master Sau's son that though he teaches WuShu, his father's personal style and specialty was Hsing-I.

Maybe you can get that level of both lineage and training today easily in the US. I haven't seen it though. When I last saw master Chan he was in his mid-60s and punching me in the face. Great teacher. Great man. He has taught me so many important things and lot of them are martially related.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    well, to be frank-it's a small world, and naming names means you need to know who wants their names mentioned and who doesn't.

Great Point!

I would throw my sifu's name in the hat, but he would rather stay un-known to his new friends that have no clue he knows martial arts. I'll just mention his name they don't know him by Kuen Wu.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

MightyB, I actually know these individuals; and some are friends!

I would also have to add my kung fu uncle, Randy Choy. You can read some of his articles on mantis and tai chi training here.

"Mr. Choy was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. He began his training in Southern Chinese Boxing in 1960. Mr. Choy has since studied numerous styles and systems of Chinese Martial arts including, Northern Praying Mantis, Taijiquan-Chen, Yang, Wu styles, Bak Mei Pai, Wu mei Pai, Hakka Pai, Hsing Yi Quan and Choy Li Fut. Mr. Ckoy is a member of Chinese Athletic Arts Academy, Hawaii Martial Arts International Society. He has been inducted into several Hall of Fames and hold a 10th degree Grandmasters Rank".
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

just because a teacher is chiense doesnt make them "the best" there are plenty of great non chinese teachers out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    just because a teacher is chiense doesnt make them "the best" there are plenty of great non chinese teachers out there.
    True, but refer to the title of this thread. Maybe you could start a new one for non-chinese teachers. I know a few I would list