Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: marijuana tcm?!?!?!?!!?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    To bring this back to something relevant (my how you potheads and prohibitionists digress ), let's talk about marijuana as medicine. Here in California, it's legal in small amounts when prescribed by a doctor. Now of course, since it is an illegal drug, there's some misuse of that and abuse the system. But for many, it's a legitimate genuine medicine. To bring it back to TCM, the founding father of TCM, Hua Tuo allegedly used marijuana as a surgical anesthetic - mafeisan (麻沸散 marijuana boiled powdered medicine).
    Its actually legal in very large amounts. I know mad people growing pounds upon pounds. I suppose it varies from county to county but seems like up north its 6 plants per person. Now, it also states that those 6 plants should be in a 10 x 10 area. That would be tiny, maybe room for one large plant. Most folks do it with maybe a few feet minimum between plants. When done correctly and with out much effort one can easily get 3-4 LBs per plant.

In Humboltd for instance one is allowed to have 3 lbs on their person.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

It's Friday....

I can just hear the ancient teenager's now..."Quick, hide the stash man, here comes the Khan!!!"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...bis/index.html
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Nice find Oso.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

a 3000 year stash of weed?

i wonder if its still good

that was definately an interesting read though. thanks for sharing.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Nice find Oso.
    sadly, i did not 'find' it...someone else did

too bad I don't smoke at all...I sure could use a big fat one right about now...

and, WTF?, moved to the TCM forum?????

this was supposed to be todays funny friday thread...would have been funnier if I had been able to link to this .wav file:

I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got **** to do!
    but, alas, my Link Fu was not working so well...had it all typed up funny like and kept getting a 401 or 404 error...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I just find it hilarious that someone called "Green Cloud" hates marijuana.
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    I just find it hilarious that someone called "Green Cloud" hates marijuana.
    he probably named himself after a chlorine gas cloud that suffocates everything in it's vicinty until it dies a horrible choking death... much like denial and ignorance.

grains and fruit just grow... man created the need to eat them.

Actually, nature created the grains, the seeds, and the man to consume them.

Man however, created the 'need' to manipulate the availability of natural products for the sake of profiteering. Just take the prohibition of cannabis in the early 1900's as a way to allow DuPont's inferior nylon fabric to steal the military contracts from the superior hemp cloth and rope producers. It had nothing to do with health concerns, etc - although that was cited as a reason for prohibition, it was really a ruse to demonize the plant and shape public opinion. Do your research - Google "anslinger" and "Dupont" and see what comes up.

Nature is a closed system with everything it needs to maintain balance. Therefore no plant, animal or mineral should be prohibited or removed from the system (or added for that matter). In my opinion, the biggest terror threat is from mega-corporations who seek to control the world's seed supply (read: Monsanto), and make the farmer pay big sums of cash to 'subscribe' to their seed supply service (breach of contract if you replant their seed). 80% of the world's corn crop is already controlled by Monsanto. Farmers in India are throwing themselves off buildings to their deaths because Monsanto has found their 'genetic fingerprint' in corn contaminated by Monsanto pollen from neighboring fields, and are being sued by the corporation. Pure evil. Jah Jah a gwaan rain down fyah an' brimstone 'pon these minions of greed.

Stand strong in Babylon,

herb ox

Don't forget the alcohol lobby.

And the racists who thought that drugs were part of non-white plots to corrupt white women.

I'm not making this garbage up.

Google "The Black Candle".
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

From **** to pot

I'm getting tired of the health benefits of urine thread topping our TCM forum here so long. It's going to pot. Ok, bad pun, but for those of you living on the moon (or just too frickin' 'traditional' to stoop to MMA) Nick Diaz took out Frank Shamrock in a Strikeforce fight last Saturday. Diaz is an outspoken pot smoker. He was penalized for it last year and got pulled off the Shamrock vs. Le fight card.

MMA fighter Nick Diaz says smoking marijuana is part of his plan
    By Lance Pugmire
    April 9, 2009

For mainstream sports fans thirsting for an athlete to come completely clean about taboo subjects in sports, here's an introduction to mixed martial arts fighter Nick Diaz, who not only speaks openly but is willing to answer follow-up questions.

"I'm more consistent about everything being a cannabis user," Diaz said in an interview with The Times last week. "I'm happy to get loaded, hear some good music . . . I remain consistent. And I have an easy way to deal with [the drug tests].

"I can pass a drug test in eight days with herbal cleansers. I drink 10 pounds of water and sweat out 10 pounds of water every day. I'll be fine."

Stockton's Diaz, 25, is pitted against MMA veteran Frank Shamrock on Saturday night in San Jose in the main event of the first Strikeforce card on Showtime since the former promotional organization Elite XC folded last year.

Strikeforce inherited much of the Elite XC roster, and Shamrock-Diaz will be a 179-pound catchweight bout as Shamrock moves down from 185 and Diaz moves up from 160.

"This is a super important fight -- for Showtime to show the MMA world there's a clear alternative to the UFC -- and that's exactly why you're seeing this matchup of exciting, forward-moving fighters who bang," Shamrock, 36, said. "I respect [Diaz's] talent, he brings it."

What Diaz brings beyond flying fists and the ability to shut off a foe's breathing by holding the opponent's throat against his bottom leg is unbending honesty about his marijuana use, his frustration with his former bosses at the Ultimate Fighting Championship and his belief that steroids are pervasive in his sport.

"Let 'em do it, they'll have a shorter career than me," said Diaz (18-7 with 10 knockouts, five submissions and a no-contest). "With all that wear and tear on their tendons, something's going to explode. I feel like these guys are hurting themselves. You can't consistently fight on steroids."

Unfortunately for Diaz, state athletic commissions also ban marijuana use, and he tested positive for the illegal drug in Las Vegas after his impressive win over Japan's Takanori Gomi in early 2007. A state athletic commissioner in Nevada argued Diaz was numb to pain because of excessive marijuana in his system. Diaz's victory was vacated; he was fined and suspended for six months.

"The drug is banned because of the damage it does to the person taking it," said Keith Kizer, Nevada State Athletic Commission executive officer. "It could make you lethargic, slow your reflexes, and those are dangerous things in a combat sport."

The California State Athletic Commission said Diaz would undergo drug testing before and after Saturday's fight.

Diaz, however, argues marijuana eases problems he has battled since childhood when, he says, he was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and prescribed mood-altering medication. His rebellion as a youth forced him to relocate to schools where he continually felt out of place and he ultimately became a high school dropout.

"I like the idea of being able to fight my way out of something," Diaz said.

Diaz fought on his first professional MMA card at 18 and was on the UFC roster two years later. He was 7-4 in MMA's premier organization, losing to two fighters who have since been suspended for steroids (Sean Sherk) and pain-killers (Karo Parisyan) and dropping another decision to current UFC lightweight title contender Diego Sanchez.

In 2006, Diaz was extended an invitation to compete on the UFC's popular "The Ultimate Fighter 4" reality television series. He said he didn't like the idea of being continually followed by cameras and speculated his presence was more a threatened order than a request.

Shortly after, Diaz and the UFC parted ways, although his brother Nate still fights in the organization. In Nick's first post-UFC fight, he tested positive for marijuana. He suspects someone tipped off authorities. "I got high in my [hotel] room the night before every [UFC] fight," Diaz said. But Kizer said Diaz was merely among 10 of 16 PRIDE Fighting Championships athletes who were tested that night.

Diaz is 4-1 since, earning a Brazilian jujitsu black belt in 2007 and complementing his intense MMA training by competing in triathlons. On March 29, Diaz finished fourth in his age group in an event in Sacramento as part of his training for Saturday's fight.

Said Shamrock of Diaz: "He definitely smokes marijuana. That's his own business, but it's not the greatest thing for the sport. We're fighting a stigma. Still, there's something refreshing about his honesty."

Diaz says he believes MMA fans admire his attitude, more so than his peers.

"I don't worry about the sport, I worry about my own . . . teeth getting kicked in," Diaz said.
    Just trying to stir the pot. Ok, another bad pun. As long as we don't have to talk about pee for a while here, I'll be quiet.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I hate drugs and i have no belief in any way that it could be a medicine because it still damages your body no matter what condition you are in. And for those who do it, have fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I hate drugs and i have no belief in any way that it could be a medicine because it still damages your body no matter what condition you are in. And for those who do it, have fun with that.
    so do you hate just the natural drugs or the ones you can buy in the drugstores? wait... are you talking about the street corner drugs made in someones bathroom or stove top? people like you who spout... I HATE DRUGS is nothing more than a ridiculous ignorant pasny baaing to whatever baa the rest of the sheeple are baaing to... you need to be more specific in your asinine stance here... what is a drug? why do you hate the ones you do? have you ever tried or experienced all the drugs you hate? if not, how do you know you hate them all? please, you must have some first-hand experiece with drugs for having made such a self-righteous and generalizingly blunt statement... please, take your time and word you post correctly or i will tear it to pieces and spit it right back out at you.

It's not right to chastise one for his or her ignorance on a matter, for who among us truly knows all? .... Uki, put your hand down!

Stoners are often just as ignorant and boldly opinionated as are Squares.

"When one eye is fixed upon the goal, that only leaves one good eye to find the Way"

If you all stopped trying to be right, maybe you'd learn something... but I suppose that's hard for martial artists, who often resort to force to get their way.

What are we learning here? There's a huge population of Cannabis consumers out there, and with the popular culture, it seems even more are accepting it. Raipizo, you need to do your homework. From an article from Dr. Ethan B Russo:

"Cannabinoid analgesics have generally been well tolerated in clinical trials with acceptable adverse event profiles. Their adjunctive addition to the pharmacological
    armamentarium for treatment of pain shows great promise."

(Loose Translation: Marijuana based pain treatments overall work well and have few side effects, and we should add them to the pharmacy)

See this link for the article as it appeared in Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management 2008:4(1) 245–259

How can you so quickly make a distinction between food, medicine and drugs?

ox

Slightly OT - turning breeches

moxa smells a lot like pot, so it's almost OT.
    Chinese medicine tactic doesn't turn breech babies
    Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:13pm EDT
    By Amy Norton

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A traditional Chinese therapy used for turning babies out of the breech position before birth may not be effective, a new study finds.

The study, reported in the journal Obstetrics & Gynecology, tested a tactic known as moxibustion, which uses heat to stimulate a particular acupuncture point in an effort to turn a breech fetus to the head-down position before birth.

Researchers found that the method appeared no more effective than Mother Nature among the 212 women they studied.

In about 3 percent to 5 percent of pregnancies, the fetus is in the breech position near the time of delivery -- meaning the feet or buttocks are closest to the birth canal. Because delivering a baby in this position presents risks, doctors typically perform a cesarean section.

In the weeks before the due date, women can also choose to try an external cephalic version (ECV), where a doctor or midwife uses their hands on the woman's abdomen to encourage the fetus to turn to the head-down position. The method, performed in the 37th week of pregnancy or later, is successful in 30 percent to 80 percent of cases, depending on the center.

Moxibustion has emerged as an alternative. Long used in Chinese medicine, the method involves burning a stick with the herb mugwort and placing it near the little toe to stimulate a particular acupuncture point there.

Some research has suggested moxibustion might be effective; a trial in China, for example, found that the method increased the chances of the fetus turning to the head-down position.

However, some other studies have been unable to replicate that success, and moxibustion remains "controversial" outside of Chinese medicine, according to the researchers on the new study, led by Marie-Julia Guittier of the Geneva University Hospitals in Switzerland.

For their study, the researchers followed 212 women who had a fetus in the breech position between the 34th and 36th week of pregnancy.

Half of the women were randomly assigned to have moxibustion therapy; a midwife trained in acupuncture performed it three times weekly in the hospital, and the women were encouraged to do it at home on all other days. The rest of the women received no therapy and served as control group.

All study participants, however, had the option of undergoing an ECV at the 37th week of pregnancy.

In the end, Guittier's team found, 18 percent of fetuses in the moxibustion group had turned to the head-down position by the time of delivery or a scheduled ECV. In the control group, 16 percent of fetuses had spontaneously turned -- a difference that was not statistically significant.

"To say the least, moxibustion was not as effective as suggested in (the) earlier trial that was conducted in China," co-researcher Dr. Michel Boulvain, also with the Geneva University Hospitals, told Reuters Health in an email. The reasons for the differences in the trials, he added, are unclear.

It's also unclear whether moxibustion has any physiological effects that would help turn a breech fetus.

Boulvain said that some researchers have reported increases in fetal movement during moxibustion sessions, which in theory could be beneficial. But he added that there are no known reasons, based on "traditional physiology," for why moxibustion would work in this context.

Based on the existing evidence, Boulvain said, "the decision in our hospital is to not implement or recommend moxibustion for these women."

SOURCE: Obstetrics & Gynecology, November 2009.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Apart from this guy, I know of know examples in Chinese Medicine where Huo Ma Hua played any significant role. Then again, it may be that it was in such common usage that it simply was a type of smoking passtime. You know, the kind you're supposed to avoid in autumn.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero