Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Sil Lim Tau Applications?

Well then, which is it? If you mean 拳法 then you are using the term wrong. 拳法 just means "boxing" or "martial arts". Are you talking about 拳法 or 劲法.

I have no idea where your right or wrong is from.

in classical chinese 拳法 or kuen faat means the method of the art.

For example, Shao Lin kuen faat, Wu dang Kuen faat, Emei kuen faat, Karate Kuen faat.

Every style has its own Kuen faat.

Within the Kuen faat there is Jin faat to support the Kuen faat.

For example, Taiji chuan has Taiji chuan's kuen faat, and there are taiji Jin to support the kuen faat. Chen Taiji has Chen Taiji's Kuen faat, and Chen Taiji has its Reel silk jin to support the implementation of the Chen Taiji Kuen faat.

OK, the following is from my previous post

general socalled southern Shao Lin such as five ancestors.... or Karate side outward block ----> targeting to have perpendicular intercept to move the opponent's attack strike (ie middle punch) off coast. (note :劲法. jin faat or Keng faat)

thus, this is the style of crispy blow.( note :拳法 kuen faat)

White Crane of Fujian water shape hand----> using the twisted and flipping momentum to scatter/shock/bounce the foundation of the opponents. (note :劲法. jin faat or Keng faat)

Thus, this is the style of shocking body. ( note :拳法 kuen faat)

Wing Chun Tan Sau ---->guiding to redirect the opponents to open its own core. (note :劲法. jin faat or Keng faat)

Thus, the style of gently subdue the enermy within inches. (note: 拳法) ( note :拳法 kuen faat)

Note that the above are copy from my previous posts and add in the 劲法 or Jin method and 拳法 or Kuen Faat note to further catagorized what is what. Since every Kuen faat or style has its own unique Jin faat.

I did not make any assumptions. I am looking at how you used to term in order to make sense of what it means. The spelling clearly indicates a southern dialect. It matches the Cantonese pronunciation of the term 拳法 but the content of your post does not match with the meaning of the term.

Again, the issue you raise is not an issue at all. see, the above note.

Now it is your turn to share your idea on HUng gar , Iron wire TAN SAU 's .... Kuen faat and Jin faat for comparison to the three examples I have posted above.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-03-2009 at 06:55 PM.

As for the "solid evidence" you asked for, I already did. I outlined exactly where tan sau, po bai and biu jee can all be found right in the opening to Fu Hok. You can find bon sau scattered all throughout Gong Ji and Fu Hok...albeit applied from a bow stance rather than a figure 8 stance.......

Sure, with your logic.

The karate Tenso's side outer block is WCK's Tan sau

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBE6...eature=related

So WCK is from Karate.

WCner needs to learn from Mas Oyama how to do SLT/SNT.

and BTW there are all type of WCK technics in Tenso, so, obviously WCK is from Kyokushin!
    Right?

So, Hung Gar also equal to Kyokushin Karate?

You name a WC move, concept or tactic and I will tell you where you can find it in Hung Gar and even go so far as to point out how they are different....but only after I point out how they are the same.

Tell us here where in Hung GAr you can find

WCK's "comes accept Goes return ...." kuen kuit?

and

How do you do WCK's fast jin or short jin?

What type of JIn Iron wire cultivate?

Why did IRon wire mention Qi cultivation within the set and in which kuen kuit?

please Share with us all the details.

Believe me, I've been down this road before. I have spent more afternoons than I can remember comparing notes with and playing chisau with my friends in the San Francisco WC community. I spent about 8 years in SF Chinatown learning Hung Gar before I moved to China.

You could be totally right. however that doesnt say anything right? see, those are not legitimate reference.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-03-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Holy sh1t.

WCK is not Hung Kuen and that is the end of it.

Different fight philosophy, power generation, biomechanic, Jin, structure . . .

Rou Jin =/= Gang Jin
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Violent Designs

It's really sad but your signature sums up most martial arts forums. I'm about to give them up and just meet people in person. Sometimes people have to feel to believe. Myself included.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    It's really sad but your signature sums up most martial arts forums. I'm about to give them up and just meet people in person. Sometimes people have to feel to believe. Myself included.
    Yep.

If I ever go round your side of the fence I shall drop by and say hello.

You seem like a nice fella.

On another note, Shifu redmond.

I have met a couple of really cool people, who I consider my kung fu brothers, form these forums.

They are good for some things, after all.

Just ignore the bulls1hit people post.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

It's a bit like the way people treat other people in cars here in the UK. As if they are the enemy. People seem to act in a way that they wouldnt in 'real life'.

I think you should give up forums, Im new to them myself but think they have nothing positive to offer unfortunately.

Unless you like *****ing.

[Im editing this, because of ambiguity the above starts with a B, then an I, then a T.
    There is no F in there

There is a total lack of respect for anything or anyone, because it is not 'real' somehow.

Has anyone on forums ever learned anything that has improved their art, or have they just had to waste time and wade through lots of negativity?

Quote Originally Posted by Genetic View Post
    It's a bit like the way people treat other people in cars here in the UK. As if they are the enemy. People seem to act in a way that they wouldnt in 'real life'.

I think you should give up forums, Im new to them myself but think they have nothing positive to offer unfortunately.

Unless you like *****ing.

[Im editing this, because of ambiguity the above starts with a B, then an I, then a T.
    There is no F in there

There is a total lack of respect for anything or anyone, because it is not 'real' somehow.

Has anyone on forums ever learned anything that has improved their art, or have they just had to waste time and wade through lots of negativity?
    You have a point. I'm actually in the process of weaning (sp)? my self from the many forums I belong to. If people would be willing to help of give constructive criticism instead of trashing each other that would be great. And I don't think it's not going to change either.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

shifu Redmond, I send you a PM.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Holy sh1t.

WCK is not Hung Kuen and that is the end of it.

Different fight philosophy, power generation, biomechanic, Jin, structure . . .

Rou Jin =/= Gang Jin
    Does it make you feel smarter to make up pretend arguments so you can then definitively win them?

Because from the outside looking in it just makes you look stupid.

You have a point. I'm actually in the process of weaning (sp)? my self from the many forums I belong to. If people would be willing to help of give constructive criticism instead of trashing each other that would be great. And I don't think it's not going to change either.
    With regard to that sig you are commenting on, actually, I have made a pretty decent number of personal contacts through the forums. Not so much in this one but I have met quite a few of the folks over at rumsoakedfist.com. I get a lot of food for thought on a lot of forums too. Never learned anything directly but coupled with my own practice, I have picked up some ideas that proved to be extremely useful.

I go through phases. Right now I am down to only 2 forums and I was only posting on one for almost a year. I only came back to KFO the past couple weeks because I am back in China and that leaves me with a lot more free time than in the states along with a hunger for English language conversation.

I guess I have to admit that I am on KFO more for entertainment than anything else. I don't even train Hung Gar anymore.

To vaguely answer Henrik's question about my "qualifications" as it were....lol...I trained Hung Gar for about 8 years under one of the generally recognized top masters in the entire United States but am disinclined to drop his name directly because I do not represent him in any way shape or form. I represent my own views on Hung Gar only. Most of my best friends are either WC or Choi Li Fut guys. The WC guys are among the top in all of San Francisco which is saying something. I spent many years hanging out and talking shop with these guys, visiting their classes, taking classes from them, sharing forms, going out to meet their teachers and so on.

Officially, I am a Baji guy. With Baji and to a lesser degree, Baguataijiquan, I have official lineage, my own quanpu and so on. One more year and I will have trained Baji for as long as I had trained Hung Gar before. So on a Baji or Taiji related I am going to be FAR more politic as, in that realm, I actually do represent a lineage.

That is all.

Happy Qing Ming Festival! (a kind of "spirit day" in China that just passed)

Before we start training, when we enter the training hall, we pay respect to the class. Before we train wing chun with different partners, we pay respect. Before we box, we touch gloves and pay respect.

There is no such etiquete on these forums. Because of the anonymity, people are disrespectful, and because of the disrespect, people are angered. It is a vicious circle, and like you I dont think it is going to change either.

It is a shame because it is good to exchange ideas, to ask questions, and to challenge opinions, but Im wondering if anyone on forums has ever had their opinion changed, or do they just become entrenched in their own opinions?

It is difficult to say whether it is just a few bad apples spoiling the whole thing or not, but a useful medium is effectively useless because of the flaws.

Which is a **** shame, but I think that you are correct that you will only improve your kung fu by meeting people in the real world. Which is a lot more constrained than the possibilities of people that you could exchange ideas with online.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    I get a lot of food for thought on a lot of forums too. Never learned anything directly but coupled with my own practice, I have picked up some ideas that proved to be extremely useful.
    So forums can be of benefit then?

Oh sure.

Not often but every once in a while. Some forums more than others and also they can be more or less useful at different points in your training. Talking to people about what you do is always going to be helpful. It's not always a matter of getting information either. Sometimes just talking it out helps clarify things or bring up questions. Keeping a journal might be more productive but it's also more work.

I'm not recommending forums or recommending avoiding them. I only think that they can be useful, not that there are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Does it make you feel smarter to make up pretend arguments so you can then definitively win them?

Because from the outside looking in it just makes you look stupid.
    Does it make you smarter to be associated with John Springer and not putting up when you're suppose to fight?

What are my "pretend arguments."

You are saying Wing Chun = Hung Kuen, when the structure of Wing Chun and Hung are completely different. Oh sure, there are bits and pieces that cross over, but the general methodology and approach of the two systems, in regard to fighting are totally different.

On that note I could say Choy Lay Fut and Wing Chun are the same as well.
    - Yagyū Munenori

No YOU. are saying that. You and Hendrik. If you actually read any of my posts then you might have a clue but if you feel happier with yourself when you just pretend to read past a 3rd grade level and find it easier to win your own arguments than to win those you have with other people.

On that note I could say Choy Lay Fut and Wing Chun are the same as well.
    You could also say that your hand and the hand of your girlfriends are the same if it helps you sleep at night but it still wouldn't be relevant to anything I have posted.

Apparently WC makes your brain decompose.