Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is the WCK?

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Yes, I KNOW Bogdon wasn't doing WCK. Now you say he just wanted to kickbox with the guy. It's makes me wonder why you label your video clips as you do.

Why would you up a clip of someone NOT doing WCK, but wearing a WCK "uniform", and describe it as "Sifu Bodgon doing some light sparring . . . " (why is it relevent that he is a sifu if what he shows doesn't pertain to WCK)?
    Because it isn't your world.
    No one said he was doing WC in that clip. I do Fu Jow Pai in my WC shirt. I skip rope in my WC shirt. So what???? You just have a need to gripe about what others do. I think it gives you a feeling of superiority or something and that's sad.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Terence

You say that you're not good yet you're able to critique everyone here.
    And don't give me the -you don't have to be good to critique- line. Do you see me making remarks about what others do? No, because I don't really care what people do if that's what they like to do.
    I'm more concerned with my and my student's development. Whether or not you like the clips I upload at least I'm putting my self out there without slamming others. You don't show a d@mn thing except your typing skills. Please post something to help the people who you think are on the wrong path. I can take a lesson. I'm not too proud. Show us something. To criticize the way you do you have to have some skills, share bro.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

It's good to know we have monomaniacs like T spending their waking hours patrolling youtube, ready to expose mislabelled kickboxing clips for the good of realistic martial artists everywhere.

Are you not getting enough lately, T? Need a new hobby?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

i used to wear a venice "muscle beach" shirt when i worked out and ive never even been to venice!

gah! im such a fraud

(runs away)

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    You say that you're not good yet you're able to critique everyone here.
    What makes you think that you need to be "good" to critically examine things? It is by and through criticism that we get better. We don't get better from a everything-is-wonderful POV.

FWIW, a person doesn't need to be very good to recognize things that aren't very good. All it takes is some experience training with good people. If you put in some time training with good grapplers, for example, you'd recognize crappling -- you don't need to be a BJJ BB to know that when you see it. If you put in some time training with people with good stand-up (boxers or MT fighters), you easily recognize poor stand-up.

And don't give me the -you don't have to be good to critique- line. Do you see me making remarks about what others do? No, because I don't really care what people do if that's what they like to do.
    That's great, Phil. You and I have a differing POV. I don't think "it's all good", instead I think -- and the evidence bears me out -- it's mostly crap. And I, unlike you, do care.

I'm more concerned with my and my student's development.
    Ah, yes, that explains why you teach and practice things like pressure point strikes with the fingers.

You care far more about being a "defender of the faith" -- the faith being the dogma of TWC (Cheung).

Whether or not you like the clips I upload at least I'm putting my self out there without slamming others. You don't show a d@mn thing except your typing skills. Please post something to help the people who you think are on the wrong path. I can take a lesson. I'm not too proud. Show us something. To criticize the way you do you have to have some skills, share bro.
    There are all kinds of people "putting themselves out there" by uploading clips. Is that making things better? No. What you don't grasp is POSTING CLIPS IS PART OF THE PROBLEM -- none of us, including me, should be putting up clips. None of us are good enough. The difference is I recognize that and apparently you don't. For me to put up clips would only be adding fuel to the fire, and I'd be doing the very thing that I see as a problem.

As I said before, Phil, I don't tell others to look to me for answers or as an example of how to do things -- the answers aren't to be found by looking to me or you or any of us. That you look to others for answers is part of the TCMA mindset and the basis of the problem. You expect someone to show you or tell you. It doesn't work that way. And, no one can tell you or show you. The answers don't come from another -- they only come from putting in the right kind of work. How do I know that? Because that's what the evidence shows, becasue that's how skills are learned/developed, etc.

What makes you think that you need to be "good" to critically examine things? It is by and through criticism that we get better. We don't get better from a everything-is-wonderful POV.

FWIW, a person doesn't need to be very good to recognize things that aren't very good. All it takes is some experience training with good people. If you put in some time training with good grapplers, for example, you'd recognize crappling -- you don't need to be a BJJ BB to know that when you see it. If you put in some time training with people with good stand-up (boxers or MT fighters), you easily recognize poor stand-up.

That's great, Phil. You and I have a differing POV. I don't think "it's all good", instead I think -- and the evidence bears me out -- it's mostly crap. And I, unlike you, do care.

Ah, yes, that explains why you teach and practice things like pressure point strikes with the fingers.

You care far more about being a "defender of the faith" -- the faith being the dogma of TWC (Cheung).

There are all kinds of people "putting themselves out there" by uploading clips. Is that making things better? No. What you don't grasp is POSTING CLIPS IS PART OF THE PROBLEM -- none of us, including me, should be putting up clips. None of us are good enough. The difference is I recognize that and apparently you don't. For me to put up clips would only be adding fuel to the fire, and I'd be doing the very thing that I see as a problem.

As I said before, Phil, I don't tell others to look to me for answers or as an example of how to do things -- the answers aren't to be found by looking to me or you or any of us. That you look to others for answers is part of the TCMA mindset and the basis of the problem. You expect someone to show you or tell you. It doesn't work that way. And, no one can tell you or show you. The answers don't come from another -- they only come from putting in the right kind of work. How do I know that? Because that's what the evidence shows, becasue that's how skills are learned/developed, etc.
    When have you seen me "teaching" finger pressure point strikes? I advocate punches, elbows, kicks, knees, etc. I'm not a real fan of "finger" pressure point strikes in real fights
    As to the rest of your post.
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-26-2010 at 05:57 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

When have you seen me "teaching" finger pressure point strikes? I advocate punches, elbows, kicks, knees, etc. I'm not a real fan of "finger" pressure point strikes in real fights
    As to the rest of your post.
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Ah, yes, "real fights."

I don't expect you to either understand or appreciate my POV.

Bogdan, the guy in the WC shirt is one of my Canadian students. He helps Sifu Ryan Kennedy teach in Toronto. btw, They have throwdowns there periodically. I think sanjuro_ronin knows about them.
    Yes, they are good guys, I think they meet up with the JKD guys quite a bit, if I am not mistaken.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Here's my take on your question Paul. WC isn't trained as a style. It doesn't tell you how to move nor what to do when this or that attack comes to you. Rather you are training specific body mechanics/structures that function in close when limb to limb contact is made (if no contact is made the hit is made). On the outside (where the two guys in the vid were functioning), you don't need the WC training, although the system does provide you with a general strategy to gain entry. In sparring you will need to learn how to enter and move around at this range. In SD you don't need to learn how to enter since the other guy is usually the aggressor, wanting to fight with you. What this means is that there is no stand off in the street. If someone calls me out and goes outside with his fists up I have a choice if I want to engage with him. If he just gets in my face or space with aggression, here I have no choice since he is the one attacking. This is where WC functions. It's not an art designed for sparring, trading blows nor comps. It's a training method. Someone comes towards me with any attack I counter, so basically we are counter fighters (not to say that we can't attack as well, we are not robots nor slaves to the system).

We train perfection in the kwoon, perfecting shapes, angles, lines of attack, positioning, energy, etc... so that it comes out somewhat correct when it's real. If you can't do it perfect in class your effectiveness will be effected since the training will help you little when you need. For e.g. fok sau can be considered a way to have something in front of you. Someone comes at you with an upper body attack, you raise your arms to meet it, the information coming in from the contact tells you things. The arms raising to meet it, this is an attack in itself, not just a deflection or way to stop the attack. Sometimes the force coming towards you is great, so you retreat while trying to maintain the closeness gained in the initial engagement (you don't want to have to regain that space, once you have it use it too your advantage). If the force is not so great you crash thru, going for his COM while attacking, taking it too him (putting him on the defensive). This is learned to be second nature thru the training, and is not meant to be learned as a technique or defense, you just react and let the training control what you do. There's no concern for how it looks, nor maintaining a principle or style, just that it is effective, and if not, you adapt enough so that you are the one in control and successful in the encounter. Maintaining structures and principles, thinking about them and performing them is done while training, you have no time for thoughts of maintain things like this in a SD situation (nor while sparring, play fighting and in comps), your intention is about defeating your opponent and getting out of it alive with little injury. Nothing is guaranteed nor promised, it's just about increasing your odds when the sh!t hits the fan on the street.

James
    Well stated James.
    We've had this dicussion many times, on my WC doesn't "look" like WC typically and why other system, typically, do look they look in training and fighting.
    Your view highlights one of the points.
    Another one I add is that WC is not "natural", the moves and principles are not inherently natural like Boxing ( as an example).
    There are pros and cons to this of course, the pro's being that one brings something different to the table.
    The issue is that, because it isn't "natural" movement per say, all the more reason it needs to be trained, from the very beginning, as a more "hands-on" MA.

What makes you think that you need to be "good" to critically examine things?
    yep you certainly do your general ignorance of various arts that you have displayed on this very board proves this point very well my boy

While I don't necessarily agree that we DON'T have to be good to examine things, we have to be honest and admit that we all do just that.
    We argue politics and the majority are NOT qualified to do so.
    We argue climate changes, warfare and history, philosohy and even psychology and are NOT qualified.
    In terms of MA, people with no experience in MMA or MT or KB like to argue and bash it, so what's the difference?

I do believe that, to make a VALID opinion one needs a certain amount of SKILL AND EXPERIENCE in USING said MA.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Another one I add is that WC is not "natural", the moves and principles are not inherently natural like Boxing ( as an example).
    I think WCK is very natural if you use it in its proper context -- attached fighting. For a very simple example, put an untrained person's (X) arm in contact with another person's (Y) arm and have them (Y) punch and you'll see X perform either a jum sao (sinking arm) or tan sao (spreading arm) or whatever is appropriate. It's not natural in stand-up/free-movement since that isn't its context.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I do believe that, to make a VALID opinion one needs a certain amount of SKILL
    AND EXPERIENCE in USING said MA.
    Really?

So when Randy Couture looked at some videos of WCK trapping and said, "that's silly", you think his lack of ANY WCK training invalidates his opinion? You don't think, perhaps, that his experience and understanding of what really goes on in the clinch or attached fighting, what is really possible in the clinch, etc. gives him the ability to look at some martial art or technique or whatever and give a valid opinion?

By that reasoning, the only people who could valid opinions on the effectiveness of aikido, its techniques, and its training would be people who practiced aikido.

The reality is that to say how things do work in an art that you need to have good skill and experience, but you don't need that same level of skill and experience to know what sorts of things don't work.

Really?

So when Randy Couture looked at some videos of WCK trapping and said, "that's silly", you think his lack of ANY WCK training invalidates his opinion? You don't think, perhaps, that his experience and understanding of what really goes on in the clinch or attached fighting, what is really possible in the clinch, etc. gives him the ability to look at some martial art or technique or whatever and give a valid opinion?

By that reasoning, the only people who could valid opinions on the effectiveness of aikido, its techniques, and its training would be people who practiced aikido.

The reality is that to say how things do work in an art that you need to have good skill and experience, but you don't need that same level of skill and experience to know what sorts of things don't work.
    this is a bad comparison i can find bad or silly videos of any art online

thanks for playing try again

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    this is a bad comparison i can find bad or silly videos of any art online

thanks for playing try again
    It's not the videos themselves -- it is what is shown in the videos (the techniques). In other words, it isn't just that the demonstration was poorly done, it was that the very "concept" behind the demonstration won't work and is silly.

If anyone wants to see what sorts of things work in fights, then simply look at fights -- you'll see for yourself. As I said in another thread, if you aren't teaching/training those things you already see occuring in sparring/fighting then you are training to fail.