Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions: Short versions of Taiji

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    TGY, interesting about the 5 element connection to the form. The Yang I know uses 3 repetitions instead of 5; on the metaphysical side, it's linked to the 3 treasures/levels/harmonies etc.
    ok; I guess for us the the 3 levels would be the 3 chapters of the form (Earth, Man, Heaven)

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    On the tongue in cheek side, my instructor used to say "any move repeated more than 3 times is pure specubation."
    we all know that the sign of true Immortality is to be able to specubate without limit (just look at Scott - he's been around since before, well, anything!)

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    ok; I guess for us the the 3 levels would be the 3 chapters of the form (Earth, Man, Heaven)
    K

Does "Grasp the sparrow's tail" have a Wu Xing breakdown? I could see it being possible...

we all know that the sign of true Immortality is to be able to specubate without limit (just look at Scott - he's been around since before, well, anything!)
    lol!
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

I heard a wonderful quote at the Symposium, but I have no recollection who said it....
    Nope, just not coming to me.
    The way I remember it is this: "Short forms are for when you are short on time"
    I liked that.
    At the Symposium we learned the five 16 Posture Hand forms from the five families: Chen, Yang, Wu/Hoa, Wu and Sun. We learned these directly from the GM's themselves.
    I like the short forms, I practice the Yang, Wu/Hoa and Wu forms nearly every day (I did not retain the Chen and Sun short forms, too much information too fast and I'd never studied either of those styles before the Symposium. Wu/Hoa is similar enough to the Yang and Wu forms I train that I was able to pick it up quickly and retain it).
    Where/when do I use these forms?
    In my companies rest room.
    Seriously.
    When I go in for a quick "break", I lock the door behind me and do one of these three short forms. It only takes me a few minutes and I feel totally refreshed when I come out.
    There is plenty of room for these short forms in your average rest room, while even a single section of any of the long forms would have you bumping into walls in no time.
    Another good place to do these short forms in on the landing of any "fire escape" rated stairwell, which is what you will find in most commercial buildings.
    All three of these forms can be done with room to spare on a landing like that, they are wide and flat so they work out perfectly.

I do these forms several times a day and I find great benefit from them. They clear the mind, move the body and keep the spirit up throughout the day.

As I recall from the Symposium, more than one of the GM's stated that these forms were created so that they could be taught in a typical college semester, allowing them to be taught to students in a short time while still retaining the principles and spirit of the style of TCC from which they were created. Also that these forms would be good for people short on time and space to do during the day as I have mentioned I use them above (that's where I got the idea, actually). Also good for seniors, as the short forms do not have any of the more strenuous aspects from the art.
    If there were other reasons why they were created, I did not hear anyone state that at the Symposium.

Bob

depends what u r trying to accomplish...
    The perverted side of me says YANG POWER !!!

But it's for the wife, relaxation and womens stuff, know what I mean?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The perverted side of me says YANG POWER !!!

But it's for the wife, relaxation and womens stuff, know what I mean?
    have her go to this - I promise you, it's worth it;
    http://www.kripalu.org/program/view/...yin_qigong_for

(it's my sifu, btw)

have her go to this - I promise you, it's worth it;
    http://www.kripalu.org/program/view/...yin_qigong_for

(it's my sifu, btw)
    Dude, we are in Toronto, remember?

Dude, we are in Toronto, remember?
    yes, I know; it's a one-time weekend retreat; it could help her get a sense of what the good stuff is like, so if she goes looking around for something near home, she'll know what to look for qualitatively

OTOH, if u have some ideas of what's local to you, send me a link, I can give you some input if you like

yes, I know; it's a one-time weekend retreat; it could help her get a sense of what the good stuff is like, so if she goes looking around for something near home, she'll know what to look for qualitatively

OTOH, if u have some ideas of what's local to you, send me a link, I can give you some input if you like
    Cool, I will let you know, thanks for the help Chris, you knucklehead !

Cool, I will let you know, thanks for the help Chris, you knucklehead !
    that's Mr. Glorified Knucklehead to you; only HW108 get's to refer to me in a more familiar sense now that he and I have had a detente of sorts...

that's Mr. Glorified Knucklehead to you; only HW108 get's to refer to me in a more familiar sense now that he and I have had a detente of sorts...
    Traitor !!

Traitor !!
    he plied me with promises of secret de-knuckleheading training, what else could I do?

he plied me with promises of secret de-knuckleheading training, what else could I do?
    Don't forget to take a shower after.

short 16 form(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ashmore View Post
    At the Symposium we learned the five 16 Posture Hand forms from the five families: Chen, Yang, Wu/Hoa, Wu and Sun. We learned these directly from the GM's themselves. I like the short forms, I practice the Yang, Wu/Hoa and Wu forms nearly every day.Where/when do I use these forms?
    In my companies rest room. Seriously.

When I go in for a quick "break", I lock the door behind me and do one of these three short forms. It only takes me a few minutes and I feel totally refreshed when I come out. There is plenty of room for these short forms in your average rest room, while even a single section of any of the long forms would have you bumping into walls in no time. Another good place to do these short forms in on the landing of any "fire escape" rated stairwell, which is what you will find in most commercial buildings. All three of these forms can be done with room to spare on a landing like that, they are wide and flat so they work out perfectly.

I do these forms several times a day and I find great benefit from them. They clear the mind, move the body and keep the spirit up throughout the day.and........would be good for people short on time and space to do during the day as I have mentioned I use them above (that's where I got the idea, actually). Also good for seniors, as the short forms do not have any of the more strenuous aspects from the art.Bob
    So, you got to hear the Grandmasters talk about these take-a-break-taiji 16 forms...
    .... Skip

Skip,
    Yes, each GM talked about how his particular short form was created before they began to teach them.

Bob

I have seen some short versions of Yang and Chen Taiji and I was wondering what benefits they may have and what people though of them.
    teaching short forms instead of actual health adnd strength building excercises are good for ripping people off

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC