Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
I Liked Mario's Vale Tudo DVD's series, I have all 3 volumes of them.
I think the DBMA "mantra" of, "you see it taught, you see it fought" should be the blueprint of ANY MA DVD.
I think the mantra should be "if you don't see it fought, then it isn't taught".

I Have Alan Orr's stuff and I liked it and I have Sifu Kwok's DVD series, "mastering Wing Chun" and I don't like it that much.
Alan's stuff is good, but there was less practical applications than I though there would be.
Sifu Kwok's DVD's suffer from his bad english and because of that he has, at times, a hard time explaining things, though his skill is obvious.
You can't see skill unless you see fighting. So, you can't know if someone has skill without seeing them fight.

Many people are very good at performing the curriculum of WCK (forms, drills, etc.). To me, however, this isn't skill -- skill in any martial art is in fighting (being able to use that art's tools, i.e., movements, actions, tactics, etc., in fighting).

Almost all the WCK DVDs out there are IMO superficial, and provide more poor (and wrong) information than good. So, generally, I think they are better avoided.

As I see it, there is a core curriculum of WCK which comprises those things you NEED to put it together for yourself. Now, no one can put it together for you -- you must work it out for yourself (you learn to box by boxing). And this presents two main problems with WCK DVDs. The first is that a DVD can't help you work it out for yourself. The second is that almost all the people who produce WCK DVDs don't have-- and certainly don't present -- the core curriculum. And, without all the NECESSARY pieces it will be extremely difficult for anyone to put it together.

From my perspective, the critical thing is the process of putting it together. You can't get that from a DVD.