Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
Someone advocating a more practical approach to MA, advocating fighting and yet, not fighting.
wel, the guy wasn't just going to chuk his entire culture out the window; standing practice, IMPE, is about developing increased awareness of your body in space in as non-contextually complex a situation as possible: it's about feeling how your body changes in gravity when you are standing still, in order to have more acute awareness when you start moving; it also helps release excess tension, it teaches you to feel how ground reaction force moves up through your structure to give you that "floating" effect, it teaches you about calming the discursive mind, etc., etc.; it's not a bad thing to do in general, although i agree that the contribution to fighting is incidental as opposed to prerequisite

but again, AFAIK, they also put on the gloves and banged away at each other - I think Ross posted some vids of them training heavy bag, footwork, etc. at one point (although I understand that there are some peeps out there doing yiquan who reverted back to the "I touch you and you go sailing through the air" silliness as well...)