Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun defense against powerful hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    People who double hook should be shot on sight.
    LOL, now that's a good defence!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    A more pertinent question at this stage is what do you do about say, a jab-hook, or a jab-cross-hook... but since HW has already stated this question only relates to one hook, I don't suppose we can play any more 'what if' games...
    My reason for saying that is based on the fact that if your block and structure collapse from one powerful hook it makes what you did before that hook came at you irrelevant. Of course if people have ran out of ideas about this single defense then by all means they can evolve this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The only critique I have is that a good boxer ( average) would not attack with a hook like that.
    Some good boxers do. We have boxers at our school including a pro.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Regarding Phil's vid: yeah, that'll work against a lone hook-thrower. You assume that a) it's easy enough to read the hook coming and b) the hooker doesn't know to set it up properly and c) you're faster than the hooker.

A more pertinent question at this stage is what do you do about say, a jab-hook, or a jab-cross-hook... but since HW has already stated this question only relates to one hook, I don't suppose we can play any more 'what if' games...

BTW, mjw, welcome to the board: you're going to get KTFO the first time you train with a boxer.
    My specialty is what if's. I teach how to deal with combos as well.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Some good boxers do. We have boxers at our school including a pro.
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.
    You aren't taught to do it, you are reamed if you do and typically if you are gonna lead with a hook, you don't do it like that.
    But...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    You might if the lead hook to the head was just a set up for a follow-up hook to the body.
    Maybe the rather overlooked area of kung fu training known as "sticking" would come handy in a situation like this.

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3
    People who double hook should be shot on sight.
    Or maybe you can try the instant block/hit I described in a previous post?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.
    You aren't taught to do it, you are reamed if you do and typically if you are gonna lead with a hook, you don't do it like that.
    But...
    That was a static demo. I agree, there are better ways to set up a hook or round punch.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

That was a static demo. There are better ways to set up a hook or round punch.
    Kind of my point, don't take me the wrong way, your "counter" was well done and well applied, angles and all, just that, typically, I don't see it happening when a lead hook is thrown like it is suppose to...
    Just too much happens before the hook is even thrown, know what I mean.
    For demo purposes it was fine and the principle was correct though.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Regarding sifu Redmonds video clip. The way I was taught to handle the exact situation was to block bill sao to elbow joint but instead of moving to the opponent`s right, I would step with my right foot to his left at a 45 degree angle delivering an instant right hand strike to the neck/face area while "borrowing" the force from his hook, followed by multiple strikes until the threat was diminished.

I suppose that it is a case of different strokes.
    I think either reaction is ok and both are dependant on timing and strategy.
    In Sifu Redmond's video, I see this as a good response as he has some time (distance) to set up, as well as takes an angle when engaging that puts him in a good position to both deal with the incoming hook as well as having more space to deal with the follow-up left.
    Your given response could put you more in harms way for the follow up left. But, depending on the timing and range, it might be the only option. (ie, punch starts closer, not enough time for foot work or set up, you are squared up when punch is thrown, etc).

Here is a clip I threw together regarding a round punch. I left some things out that I can explain later.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBxo-mUz3EA
    Makes no sense to me to extend out and block the inside upper arm/shoulder area. Assuming you can read the punch and extend out, you'd be better off to go directly to the face. You'll stop the hook and do damage at the same time... as well as disrupt the follow ups that would be coming after the hook if you simply stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Makes no sense to me to extend out and block the inside upper arm/shoulder area. Assuming you can read the punch and extend out, you'd be better off to go directly to the face. You'll stop the hook and do damage at the same time... as well as disrupt the follow ups that would be coming after the hook if you simply stop it.
    Though it might not make sense to you what's important to me is that it makes sense to me.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Though it might not make sense to you what's important to me is that it makes sense to me.
    Why do you hit that area instead of the face?

Why do you hit that area instead of the face?
    No particular reason. I was more concerned with the round punch.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

On that angle from a WC perspective you have a straight RH to the face set up right there with nothing blocking, and you train that stuff to be either simultaneous block/hit, or in very quick succession like a 1-2. From that angle it's a power RH. Your opponent has a lot further to travel to hit you with his left hand when you're flanking him like that.

Yes, a lead hand LH jab to the face while flank stepping is another viable option, and you have a similar 1-2 option.

IMO it's harder to react to a hook and time beating it with a jab than it is step and sweep the space that the hook is coming into. Also, intercepting the arm like that puts you a little bit closer in range to your opponent, which sets up a little more power in the RH. It is a similar range that boxers have when they slip the lead hook to a flanking position and hit straight up the middle with the RH.

The other thing intercepting the arm can do if you're far enough ahead of the punch is bring in overhook options on that arm, which brings your elbows into play.
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 01-23-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Regarding Phil's vid: yeah, that'll work against a lone hook-thrower. You assume that a) it's easy enough to read the hook coming and b) the hooker doesn't know to set it up properly and c) you're faster than the hooker.

BTW, mjw, welcome to the board: you're going to get KTFO the first time you train with a boxer.

I'm not trying to make any enemies on here but I started what I know to work off a powerful hook that might throw one off ballance or break ones structure with WCK principles I don't think a trained boxer would put so much into one punch.

Anywho thanks and no offense taken.

Jab hooks and all these what ifs are a series of different questions in my opinion and some of the best ways to figure these out are by yes sparring boxers, tan-gan-dip or chi sau.