Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ufc 117

Ufc 117

Anyone have a link for the fight vid? I heard Sonnen absolutely dominated till late in the 5th round and got submitted by triangle.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

fron what ive heard he was just letting sonnen hit him and not even putting up much of a defense from the first round hands down just taking it then the sub came out of no where so maybe silva was riding him out to prove a point?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I saw the fight. The theme was American bs Brazillian in every fight. I wonder if they did that on purpose or that's just how the cards fell.

Sonnen was doing the wet rag attack the whole fight that GSP and others are famous for doing. Silva was even getting dominated during their minimal stand up sessions before Sonnen took him down and bashed his face in for 5 rounds. Almost at the end of the 5th Andersoj pulls out the submission. Then came the, "He didn't tap". Then they went to the video and showed that he did tap unless he was trying futily to slap Silva's thigh to try to get out.

Silva looked like crap at the end of the match with his teammates holding him up. I don't think Silva purposely put himself through all that to prove a point. More than likely he couldn't stop the take downs.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    haha I heard Steven segal was in Andersons corner? True?
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    haha I heard Steven segal was in Andersons corner? True?
    Steven Seagal was giving him tips on how to start his movie career. UFC 117 should have been called "Hard To Kill Anderson Silva" cause he just wouldn't stop. I have no idea if Seagal was there.

Seagal was in the crowd and offered Silva good luck before he entered the cage.

Good fight! Did not hear any **** talking fro Chael after!
    JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post

JAB

Before the fight he promised to have Silva on his back more than a prostitute with a mortgage. That was classic! But he lost in the end so he couldn't really **** talk anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post

JAB
    I watched the ESPN real time, MMA Live announcer was giving complete domination, even a 10-8 round to Sonnen...so he backed up his trash talk. When Anderson secured the arm bar, he said it was all Seagal (heavy sarcasm)...hilarious.

Here is a link to most of the fight vids:

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/

Wow, what a great fight!!! Much respect for both men...Sonnen let it get away and the champ came back from nowhere!
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 08-08-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    thanks for posting the vid. appreciate it.

sonnen dominated the whole fight. Great wrestling. Looks like he's been studying the GSP handbook.

curious the amount of trash talking and discrediting that will take place of the tap out.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    sonnen dominated the whole fight. Great wrestling. Looks like he's been studying the GSP handbook.
    Sonnen was a Div 1 AA and Olympic alternate. Not to mention this is how he's beat all his best competition. GSP's wrestling isn't in the same category as Sonnen. Not to knock GSP. But it took a lot more than just the ability to get a double to keep Silva on his back that whole fight. I don't know if GSP has that level of total control, he could take Silva down but I don't think he'd keep him there like happened with Sonnen. I agree though, Silva got dominated. He might have got the W in the end. But he got his ass beat for 23 minutes. The thing that sucks for Sonnen though is that armbar wasn't really set, I think if he wouldn't have tapped he'd probably have slipped out of it. Silva was just controlling the wrist 1 on 1, Sonnen probably could have rotated the arm a bit to relieve some pressure and gone from there. That said, he needs to work on his sub defense before a rematch. Silva was setting that particular triangle up for a bout 15 seconds or so (and really trying to isolate an arm the whole fight), Sonnen should have recognized it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Sonnen was a Div 1 AA and Olympic alternate. Not to mention this is how he's beat all his best competition. GSP's wrestling isn't in the same category as Sonnen. Not to knock GSP. But it took a lot more than just the ability to get a double to keep Silva on his back that whole fight. I don't know if GSP has that level of total control, he could take Silva down but I don't think he'd keep him there like happened with Sonnen. I agree though, Silva got dominated. He might have got the W in the end. But he got his ass beat for 23 minutes. The thing that sucks for Sonnen though is that armbar wasn't really set, I think if he wouldn't have tapped he'd probably have slipped out of it. Silva was just controlling the wrist 1 on 1, Sonnen probably could have rotated the arm a bit to relieve some pressure and gone from there. That said, he needs to work on his sub defense before a rematch. Silva was setting that particular triangle up for a bout 15 seconds or so (and really trying to isolate an arm the whole fight), Sonnen should have recognized it.

GSP has stated interest in fighting Anderson Silva but after this match Silva would probably be hesitant to battle another good wrestler. I believe that Koscheck was a division 1 wrestler and GSP dominated him wrestling wise.

What I'm wondering is if a fast rematch can be justified since Silva clearly won in the end. Dominated or not Sonnen tapped.

So, Sonned threw everything he had at Silva, and the kitchen sink, and it didn't beat him and then the first opportunity Silva had, he took Sonnen out.
    Sounds like the qualities that make someone a champion.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Perhaps Sonnen should have trained a bit more and **** talked a bit less.
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    So, Sonned threw everything he had at Silva, and the kitchen sink, and it didn't beat him and then the first opportunity Silva had, he took Sonnen out.
    Sounds like the qualities that make someone a champion.
    This really reminded me of the 1st Ali - Frazier fight. Ali went from some mythic figure who the traditional boxing folks hated for all his show boating and trash talking to simply being a great fighter and champion, who won the respect of the boxing world in spite of the loss.

Maybe the same will happen with Silva now.

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    This really reminded me of the 1st Ali - Frazier fight. Ali went from some mythic figure who the traditional boxing folks hated for all his show boating and trash talking to simply being a great fighter and champion, who won the respect of the boxing world in spite of the loss.

Maybe the same will happen with Silva now.
    Well, I don't follow MMA that much, but was Silva NOT Respected before this?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !