Thread: Morality in a teacher

Hybrid View

You are all bat shit crazy.

We work together to benefit ourselves in our primary drive to survive and procreate. EVERYTHING else is supposed to support that. There mos def is a collective will to survive that is tied in with the individual drive. You can call that morality if you like.

David, your heart pumps blood. I never liked the heart analogy. It's just a remnant of ignorance. Yall need to get over that stuff. If we did have some innate morality, it would be in our heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post

We work together to benefit ourselves in our primary drive to survive and procreate. EVERYTHING else is supposed to support that. There mos def is a collective will to survive that is tied in with the individual drive. You can call that morality if you like.

David, your heart pumps blood. I never liked the heart analogy. It's just a remnant of ignorance. Yall need to get over that stuff. If we did have some innate morality, it would be in our heads.
    I think morality is a glimpse into a deeper mechanism of our evolution. More complex than what you say.

The 'collective mind' over powers the individual. There is example within the animal kingdom of altruism. Without complex minds it stands to reason this is an evolutionary advantage. One sacrifice himself for the many.

But when we think about it, all the virtues are evolutionary advantage. We take pride in teaching another person, his is how our instinct rewards us for correct behaviour, teaching enhances our species and other animals do it. Ask a question on the forum, look how many people try to help you to no material advantage of their own.

Thus if these virtues of human behaviour become advantages to survival then they become evolutionary forces. Society will have bent the species to its will and society itself is formed from our nature.

So in a deeper sense Virtue is inevitable. It is the correct behaviour written into our DNA. And I believe it will be a consequence of all sentience. All life everywhere will require these same advantages.

If so then it is an absolute law of the universe.

On the heart, it is important to treat the conscious mind and the unconscious instinctive emotional mind separately. In old terminology, before the concept of the unconscious both east and west used the term 'heart' to mean that aspect of the mind. it is a better word.

ethics or moral codes

each school has its codes of conduct

or door rules

men gui

--

spelt out on the first day of school

written on a banner or plaque

--

every one follows

including teachers

--

morality applied for all

--

YOur opinion is duly noted, but I haveto ask you, what is it that makes you feel in love? What makes you feel sorry for someone? Etc.

heart is a metaphor for emotional wisdom and isn't literal so, yes, I know what the heart is and that it pumps blood and I am going to guess that you probably understood my inference but I am ok with explaining it further.

Anyway, your personage is not a device for carrying your brain around. lol. You are the entirety of your being. It is not a remnant of ignorance, it is ignorant to deny the emotional content that is within you and to think that you can control that with an on off switch like a math problem. You can't.

That feeling is there whether you want to think it away or not.
    If you don't like analogy, that's cool, but be prepared to be stuck in circles of semantics and pedantic drivel and tautological jerk offery.

But if you prefer that, well, whatever floats your boat.

metaphor, allegory, analogy etc are perfectly acceptable forms of communication especially if we can assume everyone has a similar ability to understand.

Literalness and absolutism is often foolish though and invalid long before an analogy or allegory has lost it's connection to a given thing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    YOur opinion is duly noted, but I haveto ask you, what is it that makes you feel in love? What makes you feel sorry for someone? Etc.

heart is a metaphor for emotional wisdom and isn't literal so, yes, I know what the heart is and that it pumps blood and I am going to guess that you probably understood my inference but I am ok with explaining it further.

Anyway, your personage is not a device for carrying your brain around. lol. You are the entirety of your being. It is not a remnant of ignorance, it is ignorant to deny the emotional content that is within you and to think that you can control that with an on off switch like a math problem. You can't.

That feeling is there whether you want to think it away or not.
    If you don't like analogy, that's cool, but be prepared to be stuck in circles of semantics and pedantic drivel and tautological jerk offery.

But if you prefer that, well, whatever floats your boat.

metaphor, allegory, analogy etc are perfectly acceptable forms of communication especially if we can assume everyone has a similar ability to understand.

Literalness and absolutism is often foolish though and invalid long before an analogy or allegory has lost it's connection to a given thing.
    Why can't emotions just be a mechanism? Why do the have to be attached to a soul?

Yeah I know what you meant by heart. I just don't like the analogy. It assumes that things attributed to "having heart" are separate from our thinking apparatus.

And what about people who have no empathy? Are they soulless?

The heart of morality

You're just figuring that out now? Well, good on you. Just remember, when it comes to the forum, birds of a feather...

I never liked the heart analogy. It's just a remnant of ignorance.
    Actually, it's the new interpretation of the word that gives it the anatomical aspect - sort of a renaming, if you will. The root word for coronary - cor - is connected to 'courage', 'cordial' and 'cardio' - three concepts that are key to martial arts, IMO. That being said, I use 'heart' a lot in my next cover story, the one for the May June 2013, which is currently at press.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You think this is bat shit crazy, check out where I've taken the UFO OT thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    You think this is bat shit crazy, check out where I've taken the UFO OT thread.

Yeah I did. And I am starting to think maybe I shouldn't have opened that door.

I guess I can't complain of thread crossover since I'm a serious offender myself.

Yeah I did. And I am starting to think maybe I shouldn't have opened that door.

I guess I can't complain of thread crossover since I'm a serious offender myself.
    LOL take a walk on the wild side!!! It's got UFOs, Religion, Atheists, and apedos! I think I'll ad cryptozoology to that thread to help round it out.

LOL take a walk on the wild side!!! It's got UFOs, Religion, Atheists, and apedos! I think I'll ad cryptozoology to that thread to help round it out.
    What I would really like to know is, "Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    ROTFL!!!

Scott R. Brown for the Win!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Not, THAT is evil !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Order on the forum, I say!

Please keep the UFO and SD discussions confined to their respective threads.

No?

Oh well...never mind then...

At the very least, make sure you click-through our topmost banner this week. They are paying the rent now. Support the forum with your clicks. Click often!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

HEY!!! Leave the African Private Enterprise Development Organization out of this.