Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: eerilly warm weather

Quote Originally Posted by Radhnoti View Post
    The global warming scare tactics have wrung $18 billion out of recent federal budgets for climate change research.
    We spend that every month in Iraq. A drop in the bucket to ensure my children, and their children, don't have to fight mutant zombies for table scraps.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

lol @ Global Warming "scare tactics".

Also lol @ trying to discredit climate research with the fallacious argument of poisoning the well with the "they do it to make a living" line. You do realize that would discredit all science, yes?

MK, I'm just saying it's foolish to give you a job fighting the zombie menace, then ask YOU if it's possible the zombie threat is ended forever. Why would you say yes and have to go find another job and learn a new skill set that doesn't include a shotgun and chainsaw?
    Especially when you look back at the track record I showed a bit of the documentation for articles about global cooling...even in 1994. Multiple articles through the 70s and just as much hype then about cooling as we have now about warming.

The global warming POLITICAL/ecological movement completely ignores the fact that the world was warm enough for Vikings to grow crops in Greenland until around 1400. That's serious temperature fluctuation that has nothing to do with my mini-van.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

MK, I'm just saying it's foolish to give you a job fighting the zombie menace, then ask YOU if it's possible the zombie threat is ended forever. Why would you say yes and have to go find another job and learn a new skill set that doesn't include a shotgun and chainsaw?
    Especially when you look back at the track record I showed a bit of the documentation for articles about global cooling...even in 1994. Multiple articles through the 70s and just as much hype then about cooling as we have now about warming.

The global warming POLITICAL/ecological movement completely ignores the fact that the world was warm enough for Vikings to grow crops in Greenland until around 1400. That's serious temperature fluctuation that has nothing to do with my mini-van.

Climate Change is a more accurate term than Global Warming. Colder, dryer temperatures can occur in some regions if the oceans get too warm (didn't you see The Day After Tomorrow? ) Evidence points toward ACCELERATED change caused by human-derived emissions. And since the consequences can be dire (no planet to sustain our societies), it makes sense to dump as much money as possible into research to try and curb ANY acceleration of the natural process, and possibly circumvent the worst side-effects of that process.

At the minimum, preventing future "Katrina-esque" catastrophes could SAVE us billions in reconstruction and loss of life.

Next thing you'll be trying to tell me is cancer can be cured but the medical industry will not do it because they make too much money.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 01-02-2007 at 09:14 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

we have had the warmest winter on record here in the uk this year
    and mt kilimanjiro is melting
    anyone who says global warming aint real is retarded
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

GDA is correct. When I was a kid, it would start to snow around Thanksgiving and it would keep snowing through February.

This year is weird. I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

It snowed ONCE on October 16th (or sometime around there), and there were a few flurries.

Then, toward the end of November or beginning of December, we had a hardcore overnight blizzard where it snowed 12" overnight (and my work closed the next day, w00t). They predicted that so I was able to go buy frozen pizzas the night before since I couldn't go anywhere the next day.

But since then, there's been nothing. The weather cycles are f'ed up and it's not right.

I hope global warming doesn't mean the summers are going to get warmer, too, because I hate hot weather. My body does not do well in the heat, and honestly, 90 degrees is hot enough in the summer. When I can't even walk from my parking space to the mall without completely soaking my shirt in sweat, it's too hot. That's why I like fall/winter, and hate this global warming ish.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I think this is GREAT! I hate the freakin cold. I'm gonna spray aerosal cans everywhere. I stopped buying regular cheese. Now I only use the spray cheese-for everything-sandwiches, omlettes,you name it. No more hair gel for me, from now on, it's Aqua-Net all the way. My school smells like Glade potpouri. Feel free to use the bathroom. (well, after all that cheese....) Hey, I heard that methane also contributes to global warming.
    MORE CHEESE! CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!!!
    WELCOME TO TEN TIGERS KUNG-FU ACADEMY AND CHEESE EMPORIUM!!!!

now if anybody needs me, I'll be lying out in the parking lot, working on my beautiful tan.

Next thing you'll be trying to tell me is cancer can be cured but the medical industry will not do it because they make too much money.

Reply]
    Well, there are plenty of things like that...

As for winter, yeah when I was Kid, winter (cold needing coats) used to start around late october, with snow in early, to mid November, and it would last from then, often into early March.

We haven't seen that in 10 years at least.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I think this is GREAT! I hate the freakin cold. I'm gonna spray aerosal cans everywhere. I stopped buying regular cheese. Now I only use the spray cheese-for everything-sandwiches, omlettes,you name it. No more hair gel for me, from now on, it's Aqua-Net all the way. My school smells like Glade potpouri. Feel free to use the bathroom. (well, after all that cheese....) Hey, I heard that methane also contributes to global warming.
    MORE CHEESE! CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!!!
    WELCOME TO TEN TIGERS KUNG-FU ACADEMY AND CHEESE EMPORIUM!!!!

now if anybody needs me, I'll be lying out in the parking lot, working on my beautiful tan.
    so california turning into a desert and the netherlands dissappearing
    and northern europe becoming one solid lump of ice is ok as long as you get your tan ?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Again, all science is discreditted if you try to play the "it's in there best interest" angle. It is fallacious for a reason in its utter absurdity for the likelyhood of a global conspiracy involving nearly all scientists in the field who all reach similar conclusions.

Re: Articles - Those are merely reporting a lot fringe scientists claim. You saw how that company claimed to have cloned a human right? They were properly discredditted, and in the future when ALL MAJOR SCIENTIFIC BODIES show that humans have been cloned, does that mean they are lieing because of some past claims by a fringe group? How about Einstein? He modified Newton's law of gravity. Should science be discredditted because they were wrong about gravity for so long?

Science is transitory and provisional. It will without a doubt be 100% wrong on occasion in areas in which it was thought to be right. This is the very nature of science. Science is the best conclusion based on available data. Some scientists in the 70's looked at temperature records that go back to 1880 and realize that average global temperature had cooled from the mid 50's. Now looking at the same data to 2006, looking at ice core records, trending climate models and evaluating current evidence with supercomputers not available in the early 70's, the consensus of the global scientific community is not only that global warming is happenning (which at this point is indisputable), but also that man's activity is greatly effecting the current warming trend.

Re: Greenland. This proves NOTHING. The earth was a lot warmer when dinosaurs roamed, but that doesn't mean it'll be fine if it gets that warm again. You see the earth goes through climate changes based on natural occuring greenhouse gasses, sun activity cyles, etc. Man is now effecting a naturally occuring cycle by speeding warming up faster than it ever has. Since we don't know the trigger for devastating climate change, this can be a huge problem.

Now let's look at the fact that 1000 years ago when the vikings were farming greenland, there was no infrastructure really in place in coastal cities like London, New York, Boston, LA, etc. If the earth was to warm to where Greenland's glaciers largely melted, then you'd have some serious flooding of coastal regions. We are talking about companies going out of business and laying off people, people losing homes to water and/or unemployment, airports and cargo ports inoperable... That would cause a huge economic crash. Now let's also count for the fact that rain patterns would shift. Now the current airable land isn't good for farming. Where the patterns shift to, farms and the infrastructure needed to support them will be rushing to catch up. This will cause shortages of food to go along with economic crashes...

So it's either err on the side of caution or throw caution to the wind. There is a simple fact that remains that no valid scientific argument can be against global warming or the fact man is impacting it. Because of this skeptics resort to the fallacy of poisoning the wells in an attempt to discredit every major scientific body out there.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "so california turning into a desert and the netherlands dissappearing
    and northern europe becoming one solid lump of ice is ok as long as you get your tan ?"
    no, you didn't read what I was saying. I specifically said beautiful tan.
    sheesh! you need to get yer priorities straight. With this global warming, I can get a tan in helf the time. This would put a serious crimp in tanning salons' business. HOWEVER, it also is an incentive to find cures for skin cancer.
    That oughta get those pharmacuticle company supported AMA and FDA azoles in gear. Maybe the might get with the program and support drugs such as leatrile, like the rest of the world. nah, who are we kiddin?

Things will not be as they were nor as they are now.... that is guaranteed no matter what man does.

Molten rock... global sea... ice age. Change will always happen

its weird to hear so many people reporting oddly warm winters from so many different places.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Things will not be as they were nor as they are now.... that is guaranteed no matter what man does.

Molten rock... global sea... ice age. Change will always happen
    were all gonna die too, but using that logic to justify smoking and snorting all of cuba's coke isn't exactly the wisest approach.

im not saying that's where you were goin with that, but i thought it was worth mentioning.
    where's my beer?

I live on the front range of Colorado and we just had 3 freakin' blizzards in a 2 week time span!

Funny but true: http://frankandernest.com/cgi/view/display.pl?104-08-08
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/