Page 272 of 276 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 4131

Thread: An Epic of Internet-challenge Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Yeah, you really know how to predict the results of an actual fight.

stones... glass houses... ducks...

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Yes, actually I do...now.

Anyway, this has given me a thought. Since i really don't want to be a ground guy, and prefer the Chinese way of doing things, how much BJJ Ground type fighting do I really need to learn to escape the ground and get back into my game?

AND can this be done with Greco/Roman Wrestling? As I happen to know a guy who's Kid is a college wrestler who I roll with here and there.
    Take up MMA and you can get both in the context you want, or take up submission grappling and add the strikes or take up both and then mix them, either way I would think that no less than 2 years of constant training in a class environment, less if private.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by isol8d View Post
    stones... glass houses... ducks...

And I came on and said I was WRONG. Notice RD has not done that on anything, including his INCORRECT prediction.

I did predict the winner of the fight, yet I admitted Rudy did better than I expected him too.

Yes, actually I do...now.

Anyway, this has given me a thought. Since i really don't want to be a ground guy, and prefer the Chinese way of doing things, how much BJJ Ground type fighting do I really need to learn to escape the ground and get back into my game?
    A couple of years probably. Earning a blue belt would probably be sufficient for most strikers to be familiar enough with the tactics.

AND can this be done with Greco/Roman Wrestling? As I happen to know a guy who's Kid is a college wrestler who I roll with here and there.
    Maybe, maybe not. Wrestlers have awesome takedowns (better than BJJ), so you would quickly learn how not to get taken down. But, you wouldn't get much submission/guard/escape training probably.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-04-2007 at 08:36 AM.

You are either doing it, or not. There is no room for interpretive perspective here.
    MCMAProgram is not BJJ heavy.
    He is doing it.

Asia, are you able to add your Baji into your training? or is that something you have to do in off time?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    A couple of years probably. Earning a blue belt would probably be sufficient for most strikers to be familiar enough with the tactics.

I know both GSP and Liddell started fighting as Blue or White belts in BJJ. A Blue belt is adequate for 'the street' IMO.

Maybe, maybe not. Wrestlers have awesome takedowns (better than BJJ), so you would quickly learn how not to get taken down. But, you wouldn't get much submission/guard/escape training probably.

Correct also. I rolled with a new guy last week(less than 2 months BJJ) who is a **** good wrestler. In the scrambles he was an animal, but on his back he was bad. Even when in guard he would push off and try to force a scramble to improve his position. And when mounted he just tried to push off and muscle out. RD should train with the wrestler he knows, but also incorporate some BJJ, but that's just my opinion.

I guess my biggest weak point is when I am down and my opponent is on top. that is the area i think i should address first.

So far as take down avoidance I have some ability there. My system is chock full of throws and such, as well as striking, so I just need to keep doing what I do with all that.

I am in trouble when I am on bottom.

Military Vs. Civilian training

The major difference between Military training and OUR personally sought after Civilian training:

Ego.

Pretty much sums it up. Most, if not all military's will use what works, regardless of the source it may stem from.

Chinese
    German
    Japanese
    Russian

You name it, we have an influence from it in our military as i am sure every other country does as well.

all this style vs style in regards to military training is redundant at best.

A Military system will incorporate anything that it finds useful and put it into a training methodology and system to get the skills to their boys as fast and as solidly as they can.

MMA rules are the best rules to follow to allow you boys to fight and retain thier health, IE: minimum amount of injuries while still going full contact.

Its all really just a matter of stepping outside the box and using common sense.

Use Astro-Glide.

I guess my biggest weak point is when I am down and my opponent is on top. that is the area i think i should address first.

So far as take down avoidance I have some ability there. My system is chock full of throws and such, as well as striking, so I just need to keep doing what I do with all that.

Everyone gets in trouble on the bottom, more so with MMA.
    There are a few videos you can get your hands on to get you going.
    Bas ruttens DVD's ( the video version of his big book of combat)
    The Chute Boxing one of Shogun and Ninja
    Even Sperry's Vale Tudo III
    Probably more too.

I am probablly going to get bas's book, and video for christmass this year.

Use Astro-Glide.
    LFMAO, dude MK, you are going to get me in trouble at work, they are starting to wonder why i ruin keyboards so often by soaking them in coffee...

they have several flavors of astro-glide too

lemon cherry grape fruit punch and Trail mix

on a seriousl note, though, i think that if CMA players see a certain weakness when up against a bjj or mma ground fighter, then i think it is time for the CMA players to start training to deal with the ground fighter in a very real way(and i am not talking about for the ring either) since yet again we seem to be divided on the rules of the ring and lack of rules on the street and the life and death situation, i think one can successfully start training IF they do a couple of years of BJJ and ground fighting just to get an idea. As Sun Tzu once wrote, Know your enemy". Train how he trains and then pick apart how you would deal with him.
    its what the BJJ and MMA'ers do with TCMA players, then do it with them.

There problem solved TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 10-04-2007 at 10:55 AM.