Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Zhao Wei = an excellent Mulan.

IMO, Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh or Liu Yifei would not fit the role at all, esp. Yeoh, who is waaaay too old for it. I think Yeoh's 46 or 47 now... a year or two older than me, anyway. Unless the movie's about Mulan in middle age.

In those old KF movies, I always thought it was a joke they couldn't tell a hottie from a man just because she put on men's clothes and tucked her hair in a fedora. Her voice and face would still be the same; she'd even still have makeup on! But then again, if Americans couldn't tell Clark Kent was Superman because of the suit and glasses...
Jimbo -- you're right in that Michelle Yeoh is a bit old now, although she was great playing a disguised male in Wing Chun back in the 90's.

I agree that the movie/comic book phenomenon where a simple clothing change or modification can fool the vast majority of the unsuspecting characters is fairly ridiculous, but it's just one of those things you have to accept -- basically you have to suspend your reality when the movie starts rolling or you could question a lot of things. Have you heard Norm MacDonalds's bit "Stan & Lois" on his Ridiculous album? It kind of deals with this a bit ... check it out here (track 6), it's good for a laugh (you can't download it for free here but you can listen to it streaming). http://www.rhapsody.com/norm-macdonald/ridiculous

Almost forgot to mention -- I'm all for Zhao Wei as Mulan too -- she'd be perfect for that role!