Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
These are the kinds of unsubstantiated statements that make me wonder about your understanding of combat. MANY TMAs were used in warfare/combat throughout history. I'll presume that you'd consider a Samurai swordsman to be an MMA fighter.
MMA/gage fighting is one of the best way to test you skills but there are rules. MMA fighters are not invincible in the streets. Especially against a boot party.
Sorry Phil but I have to disagree with you on some of this. TMA's are traditionally trained as dueling arts, one on one, two on one etc. Military combat training includes this but moves well beyond it with unit tactics and fighting as part of a group. Even back in the sword and armor days the armies that won weren't just warriors they were solders (or in our case Marines! Oohrah!) and fought using shield walls, coordinated movement, integration of cavalry and ground troops with your long/cross bow units and so forth. Your dueling type skills did not come into play unless the sh1t hit the fan and you ended up in a melee.

This is why all the bs about H2H training in the military isn't really that important. Your fighter trained in a military environment will have more skills that cross over into a dueling environment than the duelist will have that cross over into a military environment.

The military style of training contains some dueling type training but it is not the high priority, dueling style training doesn't contain any of the military unit style training.