Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post

Chi sao is WCK's signature exercise/drill.

It is unrealistic, in that you don't perform the exercise/drill under (realistic) fighting conditions. So, regardless of what you think it does, it can't develop realistic fighting skills. You can use it to learn and practice various WCK actions. But it won't develop fighting skills. Only fighting develops fighting skills.

Almost all these actions involve staying attached to your opponent (staying in contact, or sticking). Sticking and the actions (tan, bong, fook, etc.) associated with it are not striking actions but grappling actions, actions that use sustained contact to manipulate your opponent.

Chi sao is not some "form of grappling" or some "form of stand up grappling" -- it is grappling (you are grappling), or, to be more precise, grappling with striking thrown in.

WCK's fighting method is to control while striking an opponent. We practice doing this in an unrealistic environment in chi sao. So while we can learn and practice doing that in chi sao, we can't develop those actions/things into fighting skills except through fighting (being able to do them in chi sao doesn't mean you can do them in fighting).

Now, go back and read my statements in light of this context and you'll see what I said was consistent with this context.
Man how long have you been studying WC for, because i am calling you out as a phony if you say you have studied for more than 1 month of WC.

Chi Sao is not grappling nor is it fighting simulation. Who ever agrees with this needs to go back and listen to there sifu better or get a new one.

Chi Sao develops contact relexes, eye coordination, footwork and most importantly chi. Which school teaches that Chi sao is grappling??? If your holding onto the arm, then your not doing Chi sao exercises properly.

Chi Sao = when i feel him do this, i will do this (sometimes when i see this, must do this), whether it be full step back, bil sao, jut sao, lop sao and pull down if he goes to kick, etc. Chi is supposed to be developed by the forward force you and your partner generate when going through the basic motion of two arm chi sao.

Chi sao described as grappling??? If you are referring to lop sao on someones arm and punching them in the head and not letting go, well thats what newbies do, because they think its fighting. Once you have put overwhelming pressure on your opponent, you should stop and start the two arm drill again.