Who practices with blow darts? Ninjas? And since when have Freddy Kruger gloves been martial arts weapons? (okay we did run a pic a someone with such gloves once in the mag, but that was tongue-in-cheek )

Chuck Rage is a great name for a martial arts villain.
Bill on martial arts weapons is OK'd
Still needs to be signed into law by governor
Patrick Cronin
By Patrick Cronin
pcronin@seacoastonline.com
June 04, 2010 2:00 AM

HAMPTON — A volunteer who was shot in the back in April with a blow dart from a passing car at Hampton Beach said he's pleased a bill was approved that will enable the town to make it harder to find such weapons in local stores.

"Hopefully what this will do is get this stuff off of the sidewalks of Hampton Beach and in the back of the stores and away from kids," said 70-year-old John Gebhart.

He was one of the people who spoke in support of a bill sponsored by state Rep. Nancy Stiles, R-Hampton. Blow darts such as the one that struck him while he was outside planting are being sold in a store-front window at the beach for $8.

Stiles said her bill, which was approved in the House and Senate on Wednesday, allows cities and towns to regulate the retail display and accessibility of martial arts objects.

"We were not looking to hurt business," Stiles said. "We were just looking to help those communities who want to make it less accessible."

She said it will be up to towns to decide what type of restrictions they want to put in place. Any ordinance developed by selectmen would still need to be voted on by the town.

Last year, Hampton officials looked into seeing if they could pass an ordinance to make it harder to purchase such items at the beach, but found state law didn't give them authority to enact one.

At the time, officials were concerned about the number of shops selling these items and the potential harm that could be inflicted by them.

Stiles was asked to sponsor the bill by Hampton Beach Village Precinct Commissioner Chuck Rage, who has long been critical of the sale of martial arts equipment at the beach.

"I'm very excited about this," Rage said. "Nancy Stiles is amazing. I brought this concern to her and she just ran with it."

Rage said there are about six stores on the beach that sell such items.

"I don't want it displayed on the sidewalk," Rage said. "This is a family beach. We don't need to see Freddy Krueger hand gloves with real finger tip knives gloves on display."

Rage said he hopes selectmen will work on an ordinance to be voted on at the 2011 Town Meeting.

"I know the selectmen will step up to the plate and make it happen," he said.

Items under the bill that can be regulated include throwing stars, throwing darts, nunchaku, blow guns or any other objects designed for use in the martial arts that are capable of being used as lethal or dangerous weapons.

The bill still needs to be signed by the governor to become law.